Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



7.17.2013

You Should All Go See Pacific Rim, Like, Today

Let's play a game. Which guy does Stephanie find attractive? I'll give you a hint: IT'S THE BESPECTACLED SCIENTIST WITH THE MONSTER TATTOOS.


Hey, guys!

Quick update about the deleted scene from Lola: I had all of the best intentions in the world of posting it last Friday, but—between the time spent on the playlist and the time spent packaging up the Twitter giveaways—I simply ran out of hours.

The deleted scene will take a lot of careful formatting, which I can't afford to do right now. All of my working hours need to be given to Isla and Josh.

I'm very, very sorry, but I'll post the deleted scene here on my website as soon as I get to the end of this draft. Sit tight. 

In the meantime, Beth Revis just tweeted about Noisy Typer, an app that makes your computer sound like a typewriter. I've been looking for something like this for years. You'd better believe I'm using it (AND LOVING IT) right this second.

*hits return key*

shing!

*smiles*

Also, you should all go see Pacific RimSeriously. Go give this movie your money.

Its most recent trailers made it look like a bleh mash-up of Godzilla and Transformersbut—try to remember—this is Guillermo freaking del Toro. This is the director who gave us Pan's Labyrinth (please tell me you've seen Pan's Labyrinth) and the Hellboy films (ohmygod, the troll market in the second film), not to mention the lesser known but stellar films The Devil's Backbone and Cronos.

I haven't seen a mega blockbuster-type film this fun since . . . I don't know. The first Pirates film? Is that stretching it? Probably. But maybe not!

It's intelligent without being holier-than-thou. It understands its audience and doesn't talk down to them. It has a kick-ass female character. It has actors who can act. It skips the long, drawn out origin story—enough with the origin story, superhero films!—and goes straight for the good stuff. And, ultimately, it's about learning how to work with other people, which is a bit of a rare thing given to American audiences these days. (Exception: The Avengers, obviously.)

It's also silly and goofy, but in a nice way. And it contains a great pair of shoes.

Plus! Charlie Day.

And Idris Elba and Rinko Kikuchi and Burn Gorman and Ron Perlman and Clifton Collins Jr. and and and.

And giant monsters. And equally giant robots.

I'm just saying.

I hope everyone gives Pacific Rim their money immeeeeeediately to encourage movie studios to make more films like it in the future. Enough with sequels and remakes! DOWN with sequels and remakes! FIGHT the sequels and remakes! 

*waves pitchfork*

*smiles at the shing!*

16 comments:

  1. YES TO ALL OF THIS. Seriously so much fun. I can't remember the last time I just had so much fun watching a movie! And all the little nods to everything that inspired it just tickled me. Mako's "For my parents!" when the sword comes out for the first time? I almost diiied. So good. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sword! YES! And Mako's entire backstory . . . that FLASHBACK . . . how epic and beautiful was THAT??

      Delete
  2. My kids are on school holidays and my husband took them to see it while I was at work.

    :(((((( Not happy, not happy at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooooo! The cruelty!!!

      Delete
    2. That is just completely wrong. That sounds like a betrayal.

      Delete
  3. Well I would be a bit upset...and then I realized that some of the time you didn't spend formatting the deleted scene from Lola, you spent packing up a copy of Lola for me.

    I'm excited for the scene, whenever it is posted, and I know that you're doing important and worthwhile things.

    Now I think I'm going to go see Pacific Rim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trailer for Pacific Rim made me want to stay far, far away from it but since it came out, I've heard nothing but good reviews for this! Also, I'm kind of intrigued by Guillermo del Toro who, from interviews, seems like a crazy mastermind. So here's to my first Guillermo del Toro film (given that I can find someone to come with me)!

    Good luck on your draft! And while you're working on it, I'll be sitting here waiting patiently for deleted scenes from Lola! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've convinced me. I'm nothing if not a sucker for cute scientists. Good luck with Isla's draft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES. I loved Mako Mori and her back story. All the found families in this movie made me want to weep in joy. SO GOOD. + robots and monsters, how can anyone go wrong with that? (especially if it's Guillermo Del Toro who is directing it.)

    Good luck on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the trailer I really didn't want to see it, I knew Guillermo del Toro's films are great (artistic and visually stunning) but I though the story was 'meh, robots vs aliens'. Then the internet exploded with praise for the film; I saw it yesterday and MY GOD it was so good, I loved it and the actors and the soundtrack and everything. When I came back from the movies I saw a bunch of interviews and everyone looks so happy and enthusiastic about the film, specially del Toro, fun fact: we both went to the same highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to have a "me" day and go see a movie by myself, I think this will be the one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to see this movie! Glad to know it is so awesome, makes me even more excited. And I agree a ton - fight the sequels and remakes!! Also, totally getting the noisy typer what a fun idea :-)

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED Pacific Rim. EVERYONE needs to go see it. I agree with you whole-heartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm would not have thought from the trailer that it would be so good. Must check it out this weekend!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been a fan of action movies. I can count on one hand the amount of action movies I've watched and ended up really liking/loving. I watched Pacific Rim a couple of weeks ago (the cinema/theatre was empty save for one elderly couple sitting in front) and I was so pleasantly surprised. I went in not knowing anything except "robots vs. monsters" but my God. I really liked it! It was a tonne of fun, easy to follow (I feel that lots of action movies do a crap-load of name/term-dropping to the point where I just lose interest, which eventually leads to my falling asleep on the couch or cinema seat) and it also played on my emotions a bit. When I walked out of the cinema I was thinking that I wanted to watch it again (which never happens for me!).

    I just dropped by because I only got around to preordering Isla (after the short-lived internal debate of... I want my books to match but if I have to wait ANOTHER year for the paperback release of Isla I won't make it!) and I love reading your bloggy thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.