5.07.2013

Coverflipping + New Releases + Utah Events



First things first: Have you read Maureen Johnson's phenomenal coverflip article for HuffPost Books about the difference between covers of books written by men versus those written by women? I wish I were in NYC so I could run to MJ's apartment and high-five the hell out of her. The article is here and some of the best gender-flipped covers are here.

I LOVE YOU, MAUREEN.


I LOVE YOU, DEBORAH.

Now.

Anyone who follows the YA community on Twitter knows that today is the day of a thousand releases. There's already a huuuuuge buzz around Rick Yancey's The 5th Wave (Yay, Team Penguin!) so I thought I'd highlight some of the others:




Sara Zarr's The Lucy Variations — Sara Zarr is one of the greatest authors of contemporary literature. If it were up to me, she would win every writing award in the entire world. Seriously. All of them. I cannot freaking WAIT to read this.

Holly Black's Doll Bones — Ditto Holly Black. And how amazing are those illustrations by Eliza Wheeler? This one is actually a return to middle grade (The Spiderwick Chronicles), but I had to include it here anyway. Because it's Holly Black. Did I mention Holly Black has a new book out today? And it has the best title of the year?

L.K. Madigan's Project: Boy Next Door — I want to write a separate post about this after I've had the opportunity to read this, but I have to mention it here, too. Lisa was a dear friend and mentor who passed away from cancer in 2011. This is a companion to Flash Burnout, her first (OHMYSTARS BRILLIANT) novel which won the William C. Morris award. Lisa and I wrote our Boy Next Door books simultaneously, and I'm grateful and teary and ecstatic that hers is finally being published. It's only available in e-book format, and it's only $3.99. Please, please, please support it.




T. Michael Martin's The End Games — I'm so happy to have been introduced to this former NC author (WHY DID YOU HAVE TO MOVE???) through our mutual friend Sara Zarr. Mike is THE NICEST, and I can't wait to read this sophisticated zombie apocalypse novel. It's already received a starred review from Booklist.

Andrea Cremer and David Levithan's Invisibility — HELLO, it's Andrea and David. That right there should be enough to get you all jazzed! Also, this is the first of two invisible-protagonist novels I'm excited about this month. My beloved friend Natalie Whipple's superfun debut Transparent is out on the 21st.

Amy Plum's If I Should Die — The final book in her trilogy about revenants. I STILL haven't had a chance to read this series, but: (A) It's set in Paris. You guys are into Paris, yes? ;-) And (B) Amy is the sweetest. Which I feel like I keep saying, but seriously. All of these authors are amazing people. I'm so lucky to work in YA.

Finally . . .



WOO HOO! Icons is the solo debut from Margaret Stohl, co-author of the Beautiful Creatures series. I've just started reading this one, and I'm really enjoying it. It has the feel of a blockbuster action film combined with the heart of an award-winning indie. Also, Margie has put together an INCREDIBLE multi-author tour, including two stops with yours truly:


San Francisco – Tuesday May 7 at 7:30 pm – Icons Launch at Books Inc – A Not Your Mother’s Book Club (NYMBC) event – Margaret Stohl with Andrea Cremer, David Levithan, Nina LaCour.

San Francisco area – Wednesday May 8 – Keplers – Margaret Stohl with Melissa de la Cruz, Leigh Bardugo, Kim Derting, Kami Garcia.

Seattle – Thursday May 9 at 7:00 pm – Pierce County Library – Margaret Stohl with Leigh Bardugo, Kim Derting, Marissa Meyer.

Seattle – Friday May 10th at 6:30 PM – Third Place Books – Margaret Stohl and Kim Derting in conversation with a Special Guest Moderator. Details TBA.

Los Angeles – Saturday May 11th – Dark Delicacies – Margaret Stohl with Melissa de la Cruz, 5 pm, Signing only.

Los Angeles – Sunday May 12th – venue TBA – Margaret Stohl with Ransom Riggs, Tahereh Mafi, Melissa de la Cruz, Marie Lu, Alyson Noel, Kami Garcia.

Salt Lake City – Tuesday May 14th – the King’s English – Margaret Stohl with Ally Condie, Shannon Hale and Stephanie Perkins.

Provo – Wednesday May 15th – Provo Library – Margaret Stohl in conversation with Stephanie Perkins.

Rochester Teen Book Festival – Saturday May 18th, all day – Nazareth College, Rochester, NY – see website for more information.

New York Area (Long Island) – Sunday May 19th – Barnes & Noble Carle Place – 2 pm – Margaret Stohl in conversation with Eliot Schrefer and Barry Lyga.

New York City – Monday May 20th – 7 PM – Books of Wonder – Margaret Stohl with Gayle Forman, E. Lockhart, Robin Wasserman, Barry Lyga and Tonya Hurley.

Charleston, SC – Thursday May 23rd – Blue Bicycle Books – Margaret Stohl with Beth Revis, Michelle Hodkin, Kathy Reichs and Brendon Reichs.


Isn't that list of authors and cities insane? If you live near ANY of those events, attend attend attend! Margie is smart and hilarious and BRINGS THE PARTY. I'm so honored that she's invited me along for Salt Lake City and Provo. They'll be my first events in Utah. Huzzah!

Which releases are you looking forward to? And which have I forgotten? Chime in below in the comments.


EDITED TO ADD: Dude. Terra Elan McVoy's Criminal releases today, too! I can't even handle it. What is UP with today?!

6 comments:

  1. This is perfect! All day I've been trying to come up with some new books to read now that the semester is winding down. I was stumped until I saw this post! (As soon as I saw "David Levithan" I immediately opened a new tab to put Invisibility on hold at my library).

    Your recommendations are always the very best! Thank you, Stephanie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks for the links :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled you are coming to Utah! You will love the mountains. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I am so happy you are coming to SLC! We have been waiting for you for hmmmmmmm...let me check...FOREVER!!! Yay! See you on Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the great night at the Kings English Book Store in Salt Lake City. The majesty of having so many amazing ICONS in one room You, Margie, Shannon, and Ally all together? What a treat!

    ReplyDelete