Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



7.07.2012

The Summer Cons: Comic and Leaky

Summer is unquestionably my favorite time of year for work-related travel.

BECAUSE IT'S CON TIME.

I'm ecstatic and honored to be attending Comic-Con International in San Diego again. This year, I'll be moderating a panel (my first time as a moderator!) about writing paranormal romance. Here's the info:


Friday, July 13
Paranormal Love-Potion: Writing Romance for Non-Human Characters
12:30p.m. - 1:30p.m.
Room: 5AB

From super-hot vampires to seductive Fae and beyond, authors divulge the secrets behind crafting steamy love scenes in their action-packed novels. Whether characters be vampiric, ghostly, faerie, witchy, shape-shifting or angelic, these authors know how to keep the passion sizzling between them. Find out more from the writers themselves, and you'll learn what makes these books red hot! Participants include Tessa Gratton (The Blood Journals), Andrea Cremer (The Nightshade series), Marjorie Liu (The Mortal Bones), Sylvia Day (The Renegade Angels series), Shawntelle Madison (Coveted), Aprilynne Pike (Wings series), and Kelley Armstrong (Thirteen), led by moderator Stephanie Perkins (Lola and the Boy Next Door).


So many awesome ladies on this panel! And we'll all be signing books (or your e-reader or your forehead), post-panel.

I'm also giddy to announce that my husband Jarrod is a panelist! You'll find me in the audience, proudly wearing my Ravenclaw pin, at this one:


Sunday, July 15
15 Years Since Philosopher's Stone: Harry Potter Fandom in 2012
4:00pm - 5:00pm
Room 6DE

Seven books from J. K. Rowling — or ten, depending on how you count — plus hundreds of thousands of fanfics. Eight studio movies — plus dozens of popular fanfilms, musicals, and songs. One theme park — but soon there'll be three or more! An international museum exhibition — and piles of fan-made shirts, crafts, fanart, CDs and DVDs. An encyclopedic website — and fancons, fan-made wikis, and history courses on the impact of the Harry Potter fandom. We'll look back at 15 years of Harry Potter fandom and try to predict where we go from here.

The panel of experts includes: Andrew Sims from Hypable, Heidi Tandy of HPEF, Alex Carpenter of the Remus Lupins, Airemay of Fiction Alley, Julia Thomas of the International Quidditch Association, The Hillywood Show, and Jarrod Perkins of Gred & Forge and the Harry Potter Alliance.


Also, I'll be attending as a regular ol' comic book nerd (I LOVE YOU, TOP SHELF!!! YOU ROCK MY WORLD, FIRST SECOND BOOKS!!!) on Preview Night, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If you see me in the crowd, please say hello! I'd love to meet you. Look for my bright red hair:


I'll probably be walking beside Kiersten White when you find me. Because she makes me this happy!


BUT BACK TO HARRY POTTER.

Because LeakyCon is August 9-12 in Chicago!

And as over-the-top fantastic as Comic-Con is, my heart will always belong to Leaky. The Harry Potter fandom has been a home for me and Jarrod for . . . heavens, six years now? Seven? There's so much love and kindness and generosity in this community that my heart practically bursts from the memories.

This year, my husband will be rocking out as Gred & Forge on Friday night, and I'll be speaking on the Lit Track panels. Along with our favorite regulars — our longtime superawesome wizard rock buddies, Maureen Johnson, John and Hank Green, my beloved agent Kate Schafer Testerman — there are several new editions to the family, including HOLLY BLACK (cannot. wait. to fangirl.) and . . . LAINI TAYLOR!




The last time I saw Laini was here, in this picture, at last year's Comic-Con where we accidentally dressed like polka-dot twinsies. I miss her like crazy.

(I just realized that the other picture I posted also involves a black, polka-dotted dress. Obviously, I have a thing for them. And I do!)

I hope to see a bunch of you at these summer conventions. And I hope I'll see the rest of you here online. :-)

Happy July, everyone!

19 comments:

  1. I'm trying really hard to be happy for you and not jealous/sad for me. Confound you, Pacific Ocean.

    (But seriously, have a wicked crazy mad fun time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      SERIOUSLY, PACIFIC OCEAN. WHAT'S YOUR DEAL??

      Delete
  2. We had talked last year about attending both of these Cons this year.... However life has it's own plans, and so does my daughter. She is getting married July 15th, and we are in the process of buying our house, and about a dozen other things seem to be happening all at once. I was almost in Ashville last week though, ok at SmokyMtn National Park, but that is close. Thought about stopping in to say "Hi". ;) Instead I went to enjoy the serenity of Cade's Cove (while the weather was not deadly)....I'm rambling, sorry. Like Jade, trying not to be jealous. ;) I shall live vicariously through you for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      I hope your daughter's wedding went smoothly and beautifully. And the Smoky Mountains! One of my favorite national parks. Even though they're right next door, it's been far too long since I've hiked their woods. I should make an effort to do that before the year's end. I hope the rest of your summer goes well! :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Steph! I just discovered your books and finished reading Lola and the Boy Next Door. I looooooved Lola and her crazy get-ups, so much that I made a blog post about them:

    http://ladymofaux.blogspot.com/2012/07/inspired-by-lola-nolan.html

    :) Can't wait for Isla's book to come out! Have a great time at Comic-Con and LeakyCon. I am green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      Your post is FANTASTIC. Oh my word. It fills my heart with joy to see Lola get that kind of love. :-)

      Thank you.

      Delete
  4. So happy for you and your husband to be panelists and really, really REALLY jealous at the same time - would love to attend either or both of these Cons and get my nerd on. It spends so much time in comic books, HP or on the internet trying to get the magic back and never gets to go out in public! Anyway, have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      I wish you could be there, too. Nerds unite! :-)

      Delete
  5. So sad I won't be able to go to either:( Have so much fun Steph and please take pictures!
    When will the cover and synopsis be released for Isla? Incredibly excited for it after the awesome that is Anna and Lola.
    Please say hi to John and Hank for me as a fellow nerd fighter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      ISLA's cover and synopsis will probably be released sometime this winter. Everything is still crazy and in-the-works! Thank you so much for your excitement. :-D

      Delete
  6. I am going to Comic-con, but I am not sure yet which day. I am taking Cali with me and so I have to look at her busy pre-teen schedule before I decide. But I will DIE if I don't see you there!! (Okay, so I won't actually die...but I will be quite sad.)

    As for Leaky Con--someday!!

    xoxo--

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      I CAN'T BELIEVE WE MISSED EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh, wish I could be at both of them!!! Congratulations on being a moderator!

    What is your Leaky username? I met some of my best friends in the whole world there, don't know if I ran into your name there! (Gwynog's rabbit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      I'm actually not on Leaky. I used to be, ages ago, but then I began writing and . . . POOF. Social life disappeared. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Can't wait to see you again at Leaky Con! Love the pick of you and Kiersten's books at RT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      YAY YAY YAY!!!

      I'm so happy to be seeing you again, too! :-)

      Delete
  9. Claudette Page4:56 PM GMT-5

    Your books make me so happy! :) I didn't get to meet you last year due to the reg craziness but this year I volunteered to manage the lit signing rooms-- so I can trick you into giving me Lola info, HA! Or... just move the stanchions, lol.

    <3 from a Leaky staffer,
    Claudette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can't believe I missed the comments on an entire post!

      Thank you so much, Claudette. I'm sorry that we didn't meet last year either! That whole trip was so crazy. But . . . HURRAH for this year! See you soon!!! :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness.. I just finished Lola and the Boy Next Door.. AMAZING!! It's so awesome that you're coming to LeakyCon! It's the first year that I'm going to attend, so I hope it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.