Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



11.01.2011

Local Event + Linkages

First, the local event:

I've been asked by a few Ash-villains if I'm having any events soon. You're in luck! There's one this Thursday, November 3rd at the East Asheville library at 6:30 p.m. I'll be reading and answering questions, and I think prizes will be given away. I won't be selling my books, but if you bring your own copies, I'll be happy to sign them. The event is free, and it's for teens and adults.


Linkages, before I skedaddle off to work:



(1) I like this new two-page comic by Lucy Knisley, "Scaredcited," which explores paranormal creatures and the fears they represent. The subject fascinates me, too.

Lucy is the author of a great autobiographical comic about Paris called French Milk. I highly recommend it! And she did these awesome Harry Potter posters. And I own this tiny, random watercolor she made of Zach Galifianakis holding a cat:




(2) I'm excited to be seeing humorist/television personality/former literary agent John Hodgman later this month. I'm not generally interested in book trailers, but this one for his latest, That Is All, is tops. I also enjoyed yesterday's NPR interview.

If you aren't already familiar with his work, may I suggest browsing through his Daily Show clips? Like this one about Borders closing? ("It's been a tough couple of years for condescending nerds.") Or this one with book promotion tips? ("Writing a book is the most important thing a human being can do. Not only do books pass knowledge on to future generations, but they're also a check on the rampant growth of trees.")

He also has a hilarious podcast. And, of course, there was THIS.

I wish I could steal his funny.


(3) Finally . . . happy National Novel Writing Month! Anna, Lola, and Isla all have humble NaNoWriMo drafts, so I'm a huge advocate for the event. Read some of my tips here and here.

I'm not participating this year, because I'm working on draft eleventy-billion of Isla, but best wishes to all of you!

11 comments:

  1. I started reading your blog an hour ago and got sidetracked by all the links!

    I wish I was doing NaNo too. I'm working on draft eleventy-billion AND ONE. *sobs* If you need any help procrast--I mean, if you need any help, Dongle is always ready for an adventure.

    #cakesex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you come to Wilmington?? I love your stuff and would love to meet you!! I procrastinated too long yesterday, so I am attempting to start my NaNo TODAY...Just have to add a few words to each days count now!! AHHH!!

    Excited for Isla!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could steal YOUR funny. I mean, okay, John Hodgeman is also hilarious. But, you know, not Perkinins hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for all this help! Unfortunately I am not participating this year (High School doesn't mesh well with the writing lifestyle) but will for sure cheer everyone on who is doing it! Would you be able to do a post on revising? I am almost done my novel (less than 10 000 words left!), and am a bi scared for the revisions and you-sucks. Good luck on your Isla edits and share somethings with us as soon as you can! And you InYourPants last week from Twitter (The pooh cookbook) had me laughing for days. best InYourPants EVER. And I never knew Anna was originally called Anna and the Boy Masterpiece (But Anna and the French Kiss is a way better title). I really hope you answer this post, it would make my day to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party but I finally found time to read Lola all in one sitting and I LOVED IT! So as I was drifting in that half awake half sleeping stage, something hit me.
    Isla=Paris. Paris=Olympics. Olympics=Calliope (and more importantly, Cricket, Lola, Anna, and St. Clair)
    is my hunch right? ^__^
    oh and could you please come to LA? The west coast needs some love..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your posts on NaNoWrimo. Interesting and it gave me the push to "do it". But I'm not officially signed up,,I'm just doing it myself but without the signage (I also started 3 days late --when I got the courage --so I'm having to catch up a ton, but might be able to pull it off...so far i guess).
    I noticed you said to choose a POV early on and stick with it. So true. BUT I didn't do that...I started first person and enjoying it, fluid, fun, etc...then as I got into the story I realized all the characters were important and I really needed 3rd person..so at 10,000 words I switched...the whole tone of the book is even changed.
    I didn't go back to edit anything...so its like all nonsensical. Yipes.
    I didn't outline, plot, etc. I don't even know if its something I'd want to pursue to edit, etc. Because i have other ideas too. Perhaps at this point, I ought to scratch out an outline or go back and edit the complete mess (its like 2 different stories). BUT, I'm also just thinking "at least your writing it...if nothing else, at the end I'll have written in both POV's , debated what "works" better, what suits me, what I like etc...and maybe it will make my writing stronger. I guess I have to write and write a million times before becoming even remotely better.
    Its a funny process though. One minute I'm loving it. The next minute I want to delete it all and forget the whole mess. The next I'm scratching down the most boring scenes just to write something.
    Its a lot of mess. But there are some dialogue pieces that could work..if not for this story, then maybe for something else.
    Your post on Nano were really great...gave me some perspective to just do it, cause otherwise I just sit and keep thinking " should it be this way or that...what would be better, etc".
    Ugh..sorry to write so much...I'm not really connected with writers and I have this compulsive need to talk about it. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JUST finished Lola today... I had, had, HAD to tell you how much I adored it! The best part? I read the acknowledgments too, and I may or may not have gotten teary eyed reading about Jarrod. Just sayin'.

    Isn't it the best when real life has happy endings too?!

    THANK YOU for sharing your talents! Your snark, wit and happy endings makes me happy ( :

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:02 AM GMT-5

    Steph come to AUSTRALIA!! ♥ AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI! P.S 'Anna' made me want to go visit France :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Anna, and then passed it on to my daughter, who also loved it. This past weekend I read Lola, then passed it on to my daughter who is in the middle of loving it. thank you for writing rom coms that aren't stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stephanie,
    I'm currently doing a giveaway on my book blog, www.wherethewritercomestowrite.blogspot.com and one of the books Penguin sent me to giveaway was Lola and the Boy next door; it is Australian only, but if you wouldn't mind spreading the word, that would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair.. is so great! I'm curious, I'm about to be a librarian & do you ever get any grief about the color?

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.