Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



10.24.2011

Live Blog: Monday


Beth Revis and I are still working together, we still have a mutual goal, and it's still due this Thursday. But this week? I only waited four days to begin instead of six.

That's called PROGRESS, my friends.

This will be a mini-version of what I did last Wednesday. It's really just for my own benefit, so there's a place where I can be publicly held accountable for reaching my goal. (Er, some of us need more motivation than others.)

Instead of sharing our actual word count with you, this time we're working with percentages-of-goal-reached. According to her last blog, Beth is currently at 24% of her goal. Me?


9:30 a.m.

We all have to start somewhere.

The Thursday goal is 100%, and today's goal will be to hit 42%. Because I like the number 42.

By the way, if you're wondering why Night Owl Me is awake at such an UNGODLY HOUR as NINE-THIRTY in the MORNING, the landscapers are here again, plus now there's someone else installing a new bathtub/shower.

(This was not planned. OF COURSE the best time to install the new tub was this week.)

Ah, well. I'm just glad it's happening!

Updates to come throughout the day . . .

* * *

10:18: Oh, man. Starting is the WORST. I've already had breakfast, but I think I'll go get a snack.

10:25: The landscapers are covering my lawn with cardboard so it can be mulched. The tub installer is drilling and banging away at my old shower. I am eating potato chips.

10:30: Send Maureen Johnson various pictures via Twitter. Think about snail sex scene in Microcosmos, thanks to this tweet.

10:35: Need to use the bathroom, but water has been turned off! Visit next-door neighbor. Beg for toilet.

10:45: Turn on Freedom for Macs, because otherwise NO WORK will happen before noon.

12:00 p.m.: Frick. I lost two hundred words. Today's goal? Currently in the negative. Also, I'm tired. I SHOULD STILL BE ASLEEP.

12:10: Realize I've spent the last ten minutes thinking about sleep.

12:19: OHMYGOD, THIS BOOK IS SO BORING I AM GOING TO DIE.

12:22: Realize Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto is being released in America today. Hurrah! Download it. Perhaps I won't die today, after all.


I love you, Chris, but we're gonna have to talk about those new earrings.


12:35: Lunch time! Look out kitchen window and discover tractor in backyard.

12:43: Wait for cheap Alfredo noodle mix to cook. Accidentally turn on faucet for third time since the water has been shut off. Obviously, it's still not working.

12:47: Two more people arrive! Plumbers! I had no idea plumbers were coming. This brings the total number of workers around my house to nine.

1:00: To combat fatigue, drink protein shake. Tastes like chalky mango.

1:05: Stare at novel. Want to delete whole stupid thing. Eat fruit snacks.

1:10: Tractor-thing shovels gravel in my driveway. Mulch truck arrives. Tractor forced to move. Beep! Beep! Beep! The plumbers laugh about something in my bathroom. More drilling. Perhaps this is not an ideal writing environment.

1:25: Pop over to neighbor's house for the bathroom again. Sit with her on her porch and study my yard. Discover a tenth worker. Amazing.

1:50: Water! The water is back on!

1:55: Email Kiersten White about the usual: how tired I am, how much I don't want to write today, etc.

2:03: ESPRESSO. I will never get into the positive percentage range without ESPRESSO. I love you, Nespresso Pixie! SAVE ME.

2:15: Bathtub installer and plumbers leave for the day. They'll be back early tomorrow, emphasis on the early.


Well. At least my toilet works again.


2:30: Landscapers sing "Blue Moon" to each other outside my window.

2:42: Cat sneaks outside of hiding place in bedroom. Sneak sneak sneaks around. (It's okay, Mr. Tumnus! No one is inside our house anymore.)

3:45: A few hundred words gained, a few hundred words lost. Still not in the territory to use the percentage meter. Arrrrghhhhhh.

4:10: More chalky mango protein drink. More wanting to die.

4:15: Phone-talk with editor Julie. Work! This is legitimately work-related!

4:40: Reopen manuscript document. Deep sigh.

5:20: BOOK SO HARD. WHY YOU SO HARD, BOOK?!? STOP LOSING WORDS, BOOK!!! Five hundred more words bite the dust. Word count reaches new daily low. Time to stretch my legs and feed my dogs.

5:30: Jarrod comes home. We stare at our beautiful, beautiful yard for nearly an hour. We break out the champagne and walk around it for another hour. OUR YARD IS SO PRETTY. And it's not even done yet! Happy, happy. (But now it's too dark to take a picture. Sorry.)

7:30: Call Dad. Tell him about awesome new yard.

8:00: Delete five hundred more words. Rewrite five hundred more words.

8:30: Pizza and an episode of Party Down.


"Are we having fun yet?"


9:00: Back to work. Whee. Feel my excitement.

9:25: Espresso. We meet again, friend.

10:15: Cut, cut, cut. I'm currently -1,100 words from where I started. I SWEAR, I AM WRITING. There's just an unusually high percentage of muck to wade through today. Trying not to get frustrated. Pushing forward . . .

10:20: Okay, obviously I'm not going to hit 42% today. I wasn't prepared for this type of work. New goal = get something on that percentage graph. Anything on that percentage graph.

10:30: Succumb to nap.

12:05 a.m.: OH, LOOK. I'm working again.

12:55: Snack time! Wasabi peas.

1:09: Rewriting continues. Words deleted, words rewritten. I'm actually making good progress, and it's frustrating that I don't have numbers to show for it.

2:00: Finish another big section. Now I'm only -800 from where I started today. (Woo!) I hate to throw in the towel without having reached any of my goals, but I have to get up early again tomorrow. Bummer.


Thanks for checking in with me today! No doubt I'll see you here again soon.

29 comments:

  1. Good luck Stephanie! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is making me feel inexpressably better about not having written a single word in three hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your live blogs Steoh and Beth:p they make me feel a little bit better about my strange writing schedule and well as offer a distraction.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty much my new goal in life is to make sure I insert myself into every live blog you ever do, some way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! It makes me feel better knowing that even published authors sometimes have trouble getting motivated to write.

    Now, maybe I should go write. . . or go back to my online class. . . or do something that seems productive. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone. :-)

    Beth — Right back at'cha.

    Kiersten — I don't think you will ever have a problem obtaining this goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when you live blog. Seriously love it. Also, I love that your cat's name is Mr. Tumnus. Good luck with the writing goal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someday a live blog will say:

    3:02 Losing the will to live.

    3:03 Doorbell rings. Kiersten White on doorstep with Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and James McAvoy. Will returned.

    (Now all I have to do is book the airfare. And the McAvoy.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:33 PM GMT-5

    I love this live blogging thing, I can so relate to not being able to get going - especially in the morning. Your time of the day is coming up, go reach that goal!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  10. I won't be able to participate in the live drunk updates today as I'm off to work. Wait. Maybe it's not such a crazy idea...

    GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds similar to my life. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see the yard in all it's glory! And you have serenading Landscapers?? Did that cost extra? Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pics or it didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your live-blogs. Your work methods are so similar to mine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've spent the last 5 hours entering data in a spreadsheet. Without champagne. I win.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since you're in need of some words, I gift you the following: wrangle, splash, envelope, gleam, kangaroo, and playfully. BOOM. There's your next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so not hiding in the tearoom at work just so I can hijack your comments. I really enjoy data entry. TRULY I DO.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jade — Tearoom? Is that the equivalent of what Americans call a "break room"? YOU AUSSIES ARE SO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, yes. That's where we eat morning/afternoon tea. I didn't realise that was an Aussie thing. WE HAVE BOTH LEARNT SOMETHING NEW.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm as excited to see this yard as to read your new book! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE PARTY DOWN.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just saw you in your pants joke on twitter. BEST IN YOUR PANTS EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  23. omg you crack me up.

    so this is what happens when the dream of getting published comes true? it becomes like any other job, and you lose the motivation to do it? . . . . oh well. it will beat verifying dental insurance. i'll continue dreaming :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, I have to ask...are you revising, or are you supposed to be writing a draft but keep going back to edit it? Also, I love these live blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You sound like me, a little. Or maybe I'm like you? Sometimes it seems no matter how much you write you just end up going backwards ... oh well.

    On a more exciting note. I finally found Lola at my local Dymocks -- talk about ages for them to get it in (sigh) -- and it is on my list of to-read books, sitting on my bookshelf, waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for its turn. I'm sure it will be lovely; I've heard many a praise.

    With love. x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey are we going to get another anna and etienne scene?? ahh i love them!!
    or i would love a cricket and lola scene(:

    ReplyDelete
  28. We all want to see the story now !!!

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.