Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



10.19.2011

Live Blog! Today! Author vs. Author Edition!

12:30: "OH, SNAP, REVIS. It's on!" — me, in a Twitter DM


Okay, so you have to read this post first for the following to make sense.

Yes. I'm the other half of Beth Revis's bet. I have 15,000 words due to her tomorrow. We've both been dragging our heels. She has 8,400 words left, and I have . . . wait for it . . .

15,000 words.

I AM THE WORST AUTHOR EVER.

Also, the worst bettor.

I'm reasonably confident that Beth has already won this match, and I'll be the one purchasing the coffee and treats at our get-together tomorrow. (And you'd better believe that authors can consume A LOT of coffee and treats.)

But.

That doesn't mean I'm happy to sit on my tush today and let her SHOW OFF how AMAZING and ON-TASK she is. I can be on-task, too! I swear I can!


TODAY SO FAR


9:09 a.m.: My alarm — set to give me a jump up on today's work — goes off. I snooze that bitch.

9:19: SNOOZE.

9:29: SNOOZE.

9:39: SNOOZE.

9:49: Screw you, alarm! I am turning you OFF.

11:04: Jarrod calls to see if I'm awake. I don't answer.

11:50: Jarrod calls again. I put the phone underneath my pillow.

12:11 p.m.: My phone bings. A text from Kiersten White. It makes me laugh, and I somewhat wake up.

12:12: Check Gmail and Google Reader on my phone, from bed.

12:15: Jarrod calls. I answer, but the call is short as my brain is fuzzy.

12:17: Back to Google Reader. Yay! A new comic from Kate Beaton!

12:25: Check Twitter and discover a direct message from Beth: "Be afraid. Be very afraid." + link to her live blog.

12:26: OH LOOK WHO IS OUT OF BED NOW.

12:27: Pace in manic circles around kitchen. Decide to skip breakfast. There's WORK to be done.

12:30: Blog.

1:10:
OMG, I've spent too long blogging. Wake up, brain! Wake up!


I'll be updating this post all day. (And all night?) Back in a bit.


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 0


1:20: Change my mind. BREAKFAST IS A MUST. Espresso (caffeine) + an English muffin covered in peanut butter (protein) ought to do the trick.

1:30: Return to the kitchen for bunny-shaped fruit snacks and cheddar-scallion sourdough twists. Why not?

1:35: Engage in a bit of friendly Twitter/blog trash talk with Beth. Eat pear-flavored Jelly Bellies.

1:45: OH. I should probably work, huh?


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 212/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT: 2801/8400



2:10: Music. I'm missing the music. Everything will be better if I have the right music. Turn on the Sunshine soundtrack, because it has the appropriate balance of drive and paranoia.

2:18: Phone-talk with my agent Kate about various stuffs. All is good.

2:30: Back to work.

2:31:
Hungry.

2:32:
Back to kitchen. Chicken salad on crackers, because: (A) more protein, (B) fast/easy.

2:40: Back to work.

2:41: Gum. I need gum. Dig out Trident Xtra Care Cool Mint, because: (A) need gum, (B) it has Recaldent, which helps strengthen teeth, which my dentist strongly recommends for me. Because I chew too much gum.

2:42: Back to work.

3:15: Change iTunes playlist to Girl Talk, a.k.a. musical crack.

4:10: SLEEPY. Nap time. But first, blog.


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 632/15000 (HA HA HA! *sob*)
BETH'S WORD COUNT:
3626/8400


6:21: Sense a disturbance in the force and wake up from the pallet on my office floor. All of the animals in the house are moving. Ah-HA! Jarrod is home! YAAAAAY! Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod!!! I love him! He is so much fun!


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 632/15000 (Well. Just wait until my NEXT update.)
BETH'S WORD COUNT: 4475/8400 (11,175/15,000)



6:30: Way gross and stinky. My Secret Weapon (a.k.a. Jarrod) puts the kettle on while I shower.

6:45: Emerge from the shower like a new writer. Energetic! Clean! Inspired!

6:50: Don battle gear — fresh pajama bottoms and a NaNoWriMo shirt, for luck. Grab GIANT mug of tea and head back to work.

7:00: Check Beth's blog. She's been quiet for the last hour. Is she working or sleeping?!? Fingers crossed for sleeping, but all bets are on working.

7:02: Back to work.

7:40: Jarrod brings me First Dinner, which is more like Breakfast, Part Two. Scrambled eggs and another English muffin.

8:00: Blog. Maybe I'll try to do this every hour, on the hour from now on?


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 1035/15000 (Quadruple digits! Finally!)
BETH'S WORD COUNT: Still no update! What is this madness?!?



8:14: Realize I've spent too long updating/hunting for Beth online. WORK! Must get back to work!

8:35: Scene suddenly becomes sexy. Ooo! This bodes well . . .

9:00: Check Beth's blog for an update. Discover she's PLAYING DIRTY by calling on her readers to send me pictures of HOT BRITISH MEN via Twitter. Heh. A worthy effort, Revis, but perhaps you UNDERESTIMATE ME.

9:02: Discovers Twitter @replies filled with Wee James McAvoy. Eep! Gulp.

9:06: NO MORE! NO MORE!!!


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 2190/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT: I think it's still the same??? Can this be TRUE?



9:07 - 10:00: Write the entire time. Do you believe?? Things are HEATING UP.

10:01: Discover Beth has resorted to killing off characters. Unsurprising, since I have resorted to make-out scenes.


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 2562/15000 (Crap-it-all! I so thought I'd written more.)
BETH'S WORD COUNT: 5448/8400 (11872/15000)



10:05: Back to work.

10:50: Jarrod brings me an espresso and bowl of trail mix. OHMYGOD, MY TEETH. What the heck is wrong with my teeth? Eating suddenly hurts. SO UNCOOL. Beth, did YOU do this to me?

10:52: Teeth okay again. Phew.

11:00: Check Beth's blog. She's resorted to gifs to express her frustrations! Is this a sign of hope? Or will she come back from her break with a vengeance?


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 3585/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT:
5553/8400 (11997/15000)


11:10: Text from Kiersten. I MUST REPLY. Has Beth discovered my weakness?? Is she behind this?

11:13: Need to pee. NO! I NEED WORDS! I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE MY CHAIR! Whyyyyyyyyyyy??? I hate you, espresso!!! This is YOUR fault. And so are all of these exclamation points and ALL CAPS!!!!!

11:18: WHY DID I JUST CHECK MY EMAIL? WHO CARES ABOUT EMAIL?

12:00 a.m.: Check Beth's blog. "Did you know that this is the longest time I've ever continuously live-blogged in one day? And it's soon to be the next day..." Yikes. Me, too. Welcome to the new a.m.

12:07: Look at clock. Feel weary for the first time since nap.


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 4010/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT: No new update. Hopefully, no new word count?



12:25: Thanks to advice from Twitter, I chug all three half-drunk caffeinated beverages currently sitting on my desk. HOLY CRUD, THAT WAS DISGUSTING. Why did they ALL have to have cream in them?

12:27: Realize I've been goofing off on Twitter for last twenty minutes. #$%^.

1:00: Delete several hundred words. Arrrrghhhhhh.

1:28: Beth is going to bed! Beth is going to bed! HURRAH! She'll still win, but maybe I can at least beat today's seven thousand word count? Must. Push. On.


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 4399/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT:
7174/8400 (13598/15000)


1:35: LEGS. KILLING ME. How did I not realize that I've been sitting in the same position for two hours? Decide to move around for a bit. Take near-empty mugs to kitchen, but accidentally spill dregs onto living room rug. Find myself humming, "I like the nightlife. I like to boo-gie," as I clean up the mess. Also, Jarrod is asleep. Sad.

1:50: Back to work.

1:52: Ooo! Text from Kiersten.

1:54: Back to work.

3:00: Bloggity blog blog.


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 5493/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT:
7174/8400 (13598/15000)


3:50: Finish gut-wrenching scene. Sad and exhausted, like the characters. Better switch to something else, and quick, otherwise I'll never beat Beth's score today.

3:52: Find sexysexy scene to tinker with. Yes. MUCH better.

4:00: Internet sooooo quiet. Bloggity blog blog.


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 6316/15000 (less than 1k away from *new* goal)
BETH'S WORD COUNT:
7174/8400 (13598/15000)


4:10: Thoughts: Yes. I'm REALLY still doing this. And I feel like I'm talking to myself now. BUT I SHALL MARCH ON.

5:24: Getting. Sleepy. So sleepy. Met new goal. But also came up with EVEN NEWER and BETTER goal . . . 8,401!


CURRENT WORD COUNT: 7457/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT:
7174/8400 (13598/15000)


6:21: DONE. BOOM!

6:22: Aaaaand I'm off to bed. Because, er, I'm meeting Beth in less than six hours. And even though I've reached her daily goal, I still owe her those treats. ;-)


FINAL WORD COUNT: 8450/15000
BETH'S WORD COUNT:
7174/8400 (13598/15000)

51 comments:

  1. Showing you some love. Go Steph! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! Sloooooow down, Steph! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. snort. y'all are funny! ;)

    (ps, please wake up so I can have fun books to read soon. thankyouverymuch)

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I love you both, I just have to say: Use your words, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brain works better after I feed it, especially after I feed it chocolate. Maybe yours needs vanilla. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or maybe it needs pie. You can eat pie and write at the same time, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, Stephanie! You guys are giving me another way to procrastinate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is like watching Bring It On or Stick It. You girls need to be adding lines like "my word count is going to count dracula your word count" to the mix so it feels more authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *slips sleeping potion into Perkins's coffee*

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL This is fun! I should totally try this sometimes... but 15000 words in a day? Got my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *waves foam finger*
    GOOOOOOOO STEPH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you can do this, Stephanie! Mostly because of this post: http://naturalartificial.blogspot.com/2009/11/in-which-i-am-challenged-three-times.html

    good luck to you and Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wrote about 50 words yesterday. I can relate to this struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. *evil cackles* I see my sleeping potion in your coffee WORKED.

    ...unless this is all a RUSE. IT IS, ISN'T IT? A carefully crafted RUSE! To lull me into a false sense of security!!!! *grips my coffee mug in a paranoid way*

    ReplyDelete
  15. We need to talk about gum sometime. I have like four packs in my purse & every time my niece sees me she says "I want gum". I created a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is hilarious! Especially the last line. Go steph go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your day sounds like mine! I have a massive project due next week and I have company coming this weekend. But what did I do all day...sleep, not eat, drink an icee. You know the important stuff. And now I'm punishing myself. No Modern Family until I get some work done.

    Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck Steph! Can't wait for Isla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hm... I need something like this to push me through my revision. *ponders*

    You guys are hilarious btw. (And remember, you can always copy and paste in a HUGE block of text at the last minute to win!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally taken by this competition. It's all so exciting! :) What happens if you tie?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is hysterical. And adorable. I think you should live blog your day everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Is she working or sleeping?" hahaha

    2190 words is awesome. I mean, I know it's not 15,000 but the night is still young! You are a night owl, so the best is yet to come, right? Go, go, go!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. *hoot* you're a night owl GO STEPH!!! need us to send beth nice links to stuff she likes? i mean its not cheating if she did it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. *sneaks into your novel*

    *starts killing characters off all willy-nilly like a NINJA*

    Write your makeout scenes NOW, Perkins. Write your makeout scenes now...

    *turns ISLA into a slasher fic instead of a romance*

    ReplyDelete
  25. GO STEPHANIE!!!! GO STEPHANIE!! You totally got this!! *cheers* *throws confetti* WOOOHOOO!!!!! Don't get distracted by HBM!! even if it's soo tempting! I'll watch them for you! ;D
    You and Beth ARE AWESOMETASTIC!!! Wooohooo!! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am...really way more into this than I should ever, ever admit.

    Also, you know I would never change teams. I love Beth dearly, and want you BOTH to win, but I get to read your writing way sooner than I get to read Beth's, which means I have a vested interest in your speed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. First of all... You can do it!! :D I'm rooting for you!
    Secondly, this has all been so fun to read, I really needed it tonight to. From 5pm to 12am I was siting in the ER with my Mom waiting on a room for her. She's fine now, they just wanted to keep her over night for observation but I was beginning to think she was never going to get a room (she actually almost didn't!). So I needed something to pick me up and this did the trick. :)
    So write like the wind my friend!! Accidental rhyme there..

    ReplyDelete
  28. GOOOOOO STEPHHHH!!!

    Guess what? I'm drinking away my pain tonight. I'm dubbing it Shit-Faced Thursday! Perhaps I will update my status in your comments? SUrely that will motivate you?

    *shakes Isla-shaped pom-poms* RAH RAH!

    HUP MOTHERF***ING HUP.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You all are AMAZING. Beth and I are lucky! Thanks for cheering us on!!!


    Kiersten — You are soooo Team Me. It's okay. Beth can take it. ;-)

    Renee — I'm so, so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she's okay. *hugs*

    Jade — Yes, PLEASE. I'm sorry you had an awful day, but I sure would love drunk updates to keep me company tonight. (Is that wrong??)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Woohoo! Way to go! You can do it! Now I'm shoulder dancing (my version of dancing while sitting down) to that song.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 6:00 pm First cocktail which I invented. I'm calling it the Gray Goose Gobbler.

    7:05 pm I'm not sure where the last hour went.

    7:06 pm Time for cocktail 2 and some Arrested Development.

    P.S. I made up a rhyme for you but I forgot it. It was good. I rhymed "shiz" with "pop quiz" that's how good it was.

    P.P.S. Um, HI!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Elysie — Ha! Aaaand now the song is back in my head.

    Jade — Gray Goose Gobbler = Vodka + ?

    Also, which episode(s) of Arrested Development? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

    ReplyDelete
  33. INTERNET IS NOT QUIET! STOMP STOMP STOMP!

    Yes, vodka, something else alcoholic, ginger beer, lime juice = The Gobbler!

    Starting with Season 2, Sword of Destiny!

    P.S I wish you were here!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I might move my updates to email so you're the only one privy to my embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been following this live blogging since this afternoon... found it hilarious as it pretty much describes how my days go working from home as an illustrator... And then I received a job this evening to have finished by tomorrow.

    Yay for all nighters! yay for crazy deadlines! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm still awake! I'll be loud & not quiet for you. Stupid prednisone insomnia is keeping me awake. Thanks for keeping me entertained :)

    Yay for being less than 1000 from your new goal. ::doeshappydance::

    ReplyDelete
  37. i had so much fun reading your and beth’s live blogging. i have a bet to whoever will win, but fingers crossed! good luck Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  38. go steph! i’m also awake! but it’s only 5:30 pm in our country, which is on the opposite side of the world,:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hee hee hee, this is so much fun. Admire your word-sproutiness. I've never ever racked up that many in one day, caffeine jolts notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hooray! So well done. I'm so impressed by the pair of you! Perhaps you can live blog a little during NaNo? We might all benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sleep well, Steph.

    this was such a fun thing to read.

    And that's a lot of words in a day!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow. That was some insane writing right there. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Will there be live blogging about the treats? I would like to hear more about the treats. =D

    ReplyDelete
  44. I agree with Alison, this live blogging thing is awesome. And live blogging with the two of ya'll together, would be epic.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I hope you know how much we all love you, keeping track on this epic author battle! Please share some more about Isla with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just reading this. And....AWESOME. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. such a friendly competition, huh??? i'm so having fun with it !

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.