Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



8.02.2011

August Break + LeakyCon, Pt. 1



I learned from my friend Lilie (she of one very lovely blog) that it's August Break — an opportunity for bloggers to express themselves in photography for a month. It's ultra low pressure, and it produced a lot of wonderful images on Lilie's website last year. If you're interested, you should check it out!

I'm using it as inspiration to increase my blogging this month. I have so many things I want to share with you and . . . so little time. Isla and the Happily Ever After MUST be written, and APPARENTLY I signed some papers awhile back that said *I* am the one who is supposed to do it.

Who knew?

So here's my first batch . . . LeakyCon! I forgot to take my REAL camera (durr), so it's a mixture of grainy cell phone pictures and better pictures stolen from other people.


Somehow, all of this PLUS another suitcase PLUS more musical equipment had to fit in our car.


And, somehow, it did!


The conference was at the Royal Pacific Resort next to Universal Studios in Orlando, FL.


Cars like this . . .


. . . and this, showed that we were among friends. Three thousand and four hundred of them, to be exact!


The first day was Lit Day. This picture from Bibliomantics proves that I actually sat on a panel with Scott Westerfeld, David Levithan, Robin Wasserman, John Green, and Libba Bray. I KNOW, RIGHT? It was called "I Was a Teenage Author," and it was the most fun I had all day. Tears of laughter streamed down my face! Here I am about to read from my senior-year journal, in which I meet my future husband (for real) and became mildly obsessed about him (understatement).


With Megan, who posted this picture on my Facebook page. Huzzah!


[THIS IS WHERE THE PICTURE OF ME WITH MY AGENT KATE AND MY EDITOR JULIE IS SUPPOSED TO GO. I DID NOT GET ONE. WE TOTALLY HAD A PANEL TOGETHER! I LOATHE MYSELF FOR NOT COMMEMORATING IT. IF YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS MOMENTOUS OCCASION AND SEND IT TO ME, I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER.]


The next day, Snape tried to avada kedavra me . . .


. . . but I escaped and made it to the IMAX premiere of the new film. (I'm not actually in this picture, which I stole from Oh My Rowling. I am to the left of this. You'll have to trust me.) I can't imagine a more incredible movie-going experience than seeing the last Harry Potter with the people who care about it the most. The theater sobbed and laughed and cheered as one.


At the theater, Jarrod and I sat beside my writer-friend Jade and her husband. They were visiting all the way from Australia! They'd stopped by our home in Asheville the week before, and I was puppy-dog happy to see them again. We walked around afterward and bought loads of disgusting candy and frozen yogurt. And then we couldn't bear to say goodbye, so we made breakfast plans for the next morning! PLEASE COME BACK JADE I MISS YOU COME BACK COME BACK COME BACK.


Next post = Wizard Rock + a trip to the most magical place on Earth. Which, despite popular belief, is not Disneyland.


UPDATE: Molly has sent me pictures of my panel with Agent Kate and Editor Julie! I'll post them next time. YIPPEE!!!

12 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I miss LeakyCon so much! That being said, it was AMAZING to meet you. It was one of the highlights getting to chat with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss it so so so much!
    It was so great meeting you. You were SO nice (not that I expected anything else, ha ha!). I admit I was a little shocked when I was standing in the vendor room and just saw you walk by...it was a favorite moment of mine, as was the signing. It was so cool of you to spend time to speak to us all for a moment.
    Can't wait for the next post! I am filled with SO much nastalgia about LeakyCon, so blogs like this are definitely helping me relive the best week of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH!!!! I iz famous!

    Reading that post made me sad and happy at the same time. SUCH FUN. Such sweet sorrow on parting.

    And the August break things sounds cool. I always love an excuse to fill my blog with photos.

    (And don't worry, I will return!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so beyond adorable! Wish I could pull off awesome hair like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Am thrilled to hear you're joining me for the August break this year.
    And thanks for reminding me it's time to start posting photos (what? how is it August already?)
    LeakyCon looks amazing -- how much do I wish I could've heard that Teenage Author panel?
    Can't wait to see the next batch of pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Snape was using a love spell.....

    Can't wait for the next bit. WWHP Rocks!

    Shelley
    Proud member of Hufflepuff House since 1974

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sad I couldn't afford to go to Leakycon but I'm glad that everyone had so much fun! I love those heart sunglasses. :) Also, I recently let my friend borrow Anna and when she was done with it, her exact words were: "God how can a book be so FREAKING GOOD??!!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I can't wait for my life to get this fabulous (fingers crossed!)!

    Thanks for sharing the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are so fun. :)

    Oh! I forgot to email you...I was in Paris a few weeks ago. I made an ANNA featured list of things to do. I stopped in at Shakespeare and Company, my FAVORITE place in the world, and took a picture of the Neruda books for you. :) And then, we walked across, and I made a wish at Kilometer Zero.

    AND I ate madeleines out of a vending machine, just for Anna. ;) I discovered that they're infinitely better with whipped cream piled on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm feeling an August break coming on, myself.

    Glad to see you narrowly escaped death, erm, I mean, had fun at Leakycon. If I hadn't been saving for a house, I totally would have been there!

    Luckily, Jade stopped in NOLA on her tour of the wet, rainy, humid south-east. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there a video from you on "I Was a Teenage Author" panel?
    I saw a small bit on youtube and dying to hear the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.