Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



7.11.2011

GAHHHHHHHHH!!!



SO MUCH HAPPENING AT ONCE.

Jarrod and I have to take a sudden detour before driving to LeakyCon in Orlando, which requires us to leave a day early. This will be sloppy!


THE MOST IMPORTANT THING:

NATALIE WHIPPLE SOLD TWO YA BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!

Most of you already know this, because we share many of the same blog readers, but JUST IN CASE you missed it, please go congratulate her! Natalie is a dear friend, and this has been a long time coming. Her first novel is called Transparent, and I was lucky enough to be one of her critique partners, and it's completely and totally original. And fun! And funny!

I want to talk more about Natalie, because she's been instrumental to my health and sanity for the last few years, and I am SO FREAKING EXCITED about *her* book deal. But I really gotta pick up the pace. (I have to leave in three hours, and I haven't packed yet!) So I'll tell you more about how special she is soon.

But trust me. She is. I'm so happy for her!


THE AUCTION THING:

Carrie Harris, author of the releases-tomorrow zombie YA Bad Taste in Boys, is having an auction to raise money for the Mott Giving Library, which gives free books to hospitalized children. In Carrie's own words:

"The Giving Library is located at the University of Michigan Mott Children’s Hospital. In a given year, Mott serves about 10,000 inpatients and 60,000 outpatients, from newborns to nineteen-year-olds. My husband was nineteen when he was admitted with an advanced case of Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. Thanks to Mott, he beat the odds. When we started dating, his hair was just starting to grow back.

Now he’s at the tail end of his training to become a pediatric oncologist. He’s working side-by-side with many of the doctors who saved his life all those years ago. Sometimes they forget he was once their patient. But my family? We’ll never forget.

I owe everything I’ve got to those doctors. Without them, I’d have no husband. I’d be without my son and the zombie plays he brings me home from first grade. I’d be without my twin daughters and the holes they put in my walls. (I might not miss the holes.) And I would have no book. Because my family’s what gave me the guts to send it out, even though I knew the odds were stacked against me. What can I say? I’m a statistician by trade. I think of these things.

Yes, I’m excited to celebrate the publication of my first book. But for me, this is bigger than a book. This is about paying some of that awesomeness forward. Or in this case, paying it back."

I have donated a first-edition hardcover of Anna and the French Kiss, signed and hand-annotated. You can bid on it here (instructions are at the bottom of the page, in the comments area). The auction ends July 25th at 4:00 p.m. EST.

Please allow me to stress that this is a one-of-a-kind item. If you win my auction, you'll learn secrets about Anna that NO ONE else knows! I hope you'll bid. It's such a great cause.


THE NEW CALIFORNIA EVENT THING:

I don't think I've announced this here yet, but I have a special signing with Kiersten White and Andrea Cremer on July 26, 2011 in Oceanside, CA at 6:00 p.m. This is for all of the people in the San Diego area (and beyond!) who can't make it into Comic-Con to see us. It's the release party for Kiersten's Supernaturally and Andrea's Wolfsbane, but I'll be there signing copies of Anna, too.

Numbered wristbands will be issued, and reservations start one week before the event. Call: 760-529-0106 for more information.


THE COMIC-CON THING:

My panel information has finally been announced:

Sunday, 10:00-11:00 "What's Hot in Young Adult Fiction: Sit Down with the Writers We Can't Stop Talking About"

Hosted by Nathan Bransford (Jacob Wonderbar Cosmic Space Kapow), and featuring panelists Andrea Cremer (Nightshade series), Amanda Hocking (Hollowland), Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me), Stephanie Perkins (Anna and the French Kiss), Laini Taylor (Daughter of Smoke and Bone), and Kiersten White (Paranormalcy), who discuss the YA phenomenon and their books.

Room 23ABC


Afterward, our autograph session will be in room AA4, from 11:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m.


THE LEAKYCON THING:

I'm so excited to be seeing so many of you this week! I'll be at Wednesday's Lit Day festivities, and I'll be hanging around the hotel and theme park for the rest of the week.

Two announcements: Enter to win an advanced copy of Lola and the Boy Next Door at the nighttime wizard rock shows. Look for Jarrod's merch table — his band is Gred and Forge — to enter. It's free. Also, Jarrod and I will be signing GARBAGE PAIL KIDS cards all week. (Just because! Hee hee.) Approach either one of us at any time to ask for one. Also free, of course!


THE FINAL THING:


See you back here SOON. I hope! Hope you're all having a great July!

16 comments:

  1. You have your signing on Friday, too, right? (I only have a day pass so I won't be able to go to Lit Day :( Sad panda)

    PS - SAFE TRAVELS!
    PPS - Will there be any ARC's of Lola that I could BORROW to read at Leaky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'll be doing the Friday signing at LeakyCon, too.

    Sorry, no ARCs to borrow. ;)

    Safe travels to you, too! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you can get on twitter at some point Thursday/Friday/Saturday morning let me know if I can still get you coffee :)

    Looking forward to Leaky SO SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, there's so much fun ahead for you! See you at Comic-Con! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a dream that I was worried about Mimi because I couldn't a hold of her so I drove to San Diego/Comic Con to find out what was wrong. Nothing was wrong but Mimi convinced me to see if maybe there were tickets for me. Turns out that there were four tickets waiting for me. It was the comic con miracle, I was so excited I would be able to go to your panel. But worried that I had not brought any clothes with me. I hope you have so much fun at all your events!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo--I will see you at BOTH events! SO EXCITED YOU'RE COMING TO CALI!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on my way to Leaky right now and I can't wait to see you and all the other amazing authors! I didn't bring my copy of Anna (or any books to sign, really) because there are just too many, but I do have a sparkly notebook, which hopefully will suffice (that or the Lola ARC would be awesome). Anyway, see you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still get all teary when I think about Natalie and Transparent. SOOOOOO happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, HAI!

    See you Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See you in San Diego!!

    (Thanks for the heads-up about the wristbands...I never would have known otherwise!)

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  11. See you at Leaky! SO EXCITED! I can't make it to your signing on Friday, so I really hope I see you elsewhere! Will definitely stop by Jarrod's booth, both for Lola and G&F!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Stephanie, I am Brazilian and some day I bought the book "Anna and the French kiss," and I was in love with the story. And passionate Etienne St. Clair. I hope you can come to Brazil because "Anna and the French kiss as well as being a worldwide success has a lot of fans here in Brazil too. In the future I'll publish a book review on my blog if you can visit will be very happy. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Steph, I am Brazilian and have a blog where I write about books. Anna and the French Kiss is being too much read here, and almost every one loves it.
    A friend of mine and I were thinking about trying to make an interview with you by email for your fans in Brazil.

    It would be published in http://conjuntodaobra.blogspot.com/ and http://misscarbono.blogspot.com/.

    If you like the idea, please, send me an email to conjuntodaobra@gmail.com

    I am waiting an answer anxiously!

    Kisses, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wish I could have come to your panel discussion! I read Anna a few weeks ago and have been devouring your blog! When I needed to come up with a book to turn into a trailer for a book trailer workshop I was hosting at my library, I had to do Anna. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrVYqSY0g2c

    Hope your July is going well, too!

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.