Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



2.16.2011

Vague Title About Things and Stuff

Rare Alphabet Butterfly by J. Towbin


First, a quick announcement for teens in the Asheville, NC region:

I'll be at the Weaverville Library (41 N. Main Street in Weaverville) this Friday, February 18th from 4:00 to 5:30 pm speaking with TAG, the Teen Awesome Group.

It'll be a super-relaxed event, and I'll be discussing: Anna and the French Kiss, writing, literature, publishing . . . basically, if you have a question about ANYTHING in the world of books, I'll answer it.

I have an incredibly special connection with this library — I was working there while I wrote Anna — and with TAG's organizer, who happens to be one of my dearest friends. So I know it'll be fantastic. If you're a teen living in Western North Carolina, I'd love to meet you and hang out!

In other cool news:




WOO HOO!!!

It's no secret that Kiersten White and I are, er, heavily invested in each other's careers (being someone's close friend/critique partner will do that to you), so nothing makes me happier than seeing that people are pre-ordering Supernaturally and Lola and the Boy Next Door together. And I know exactly who is doing it:

You! Our blog readers! Thank you!!!

This is an exciting week on her website, because there's a celebration of Supernaturally going on with a giveaway AND a special reveal this Friday. And I probably shouldn't say this, but whatever: YOU WILL LIKE THE REVEAL.

*rubs hands together and cackles with insider knowledge*

Even more importantly, you'll love Supernaturally. Here's another thing that I probably shouldn't say (because it doesn't come out until August): It contains one of my favorite characters that any author has created. Ever. The second this character appeared on the page, I died a little bit of jealousy that they weren't MINE. I want to steal this character from Kiersten's book and place them inside of my own personal character corral. Oh, it kills me.

Okay, okay. I will stop teasing you!

So . . . I turned in another draft of Lola this week. Closer, closer, closer. Each draft gets it closer. My feelings on this novel are still so muddled (and for so many reasons) that I'm realizing I probably won't be able to view it rationally for several more years. Which is why I'm grateful to have such a smart editor and smart friends — people who I trust COMPLETELY. If they say that this book is good, that it's ready for the rest of the world, I will believe them.

The only thing I know for sure is this: I love the characters.

THEY are the reason why I've never been able to let go of this story. [For those new here, it's a *decade* in the making.] THEY are the reason why I keep moving forward. Lola and her boy are more colorful, more bombastic than Anna and Étienne, but I think/hope they're still identifiable as characters that I would create. And I'm excited for you to meet them.

But . . . it's still so weird to know that it'll happen this year! How can that be?!

I wish I could tell you more, but, for now, I'll just share this (colorful, bombastic) song, which I've listened to hundreds of times in the last year. It's referred to in my house as "Lola's Theme," but it's actually "Animal Arithmetic" by Jónsi of Sigur Rós, one of my favorite musical obsessions. His entire Go album fueled much of the energy in Lola's story:





NOTE: There's also a real music video here, which is very pretty (footage taken from his film Go Quiet, which I also love), but it distracts a bit from the song itself.

As for Anna's playlist, I hope to share it with you soonsoonsoon. I realize that my website's "Extras" feature is still empty of Anna content, and I appreciate your patience. As she has been all winter, Lola is my first priority. Which stinks for those of you enjoying Anna and wanting more, but . . . I want you to like Lola, too! (Thus, the prioritizing.)

(I have a lot of parentheses in this post.)

(I feel like I'm talking in code.)

(I suppose I am.)

(How disconcerting.)

In final news, OHMYSTARS, RADIOHEAD ANNOUNCED A NEW ALBUM. And it comes out THIS SATURDAY!!! As obsessed as I am with Jónsi/Sigur Rós, nothing can compare to my musical obsession — nay, DEVOTION — to Thom Yorke/Radiohead. This news made my ENTIRE MONTH. I want to marry this news and have its beautiful, twisted little babies.


♥ ♥ ♥


Seriously, I'm panting in excitement. Saturday, whyyyyy are you so far away???

Ooo! I just received some more exciting news. I'll share it with you next time. Until then, my friends!

23 comments:

  1. It's lovely to know that you're such good friends with Kiersten White. I love her book and yours. I hope you both come to Naperville soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much I love Jonsi, fellow Jonsi fan! HAHA! So I'm so glad that you are sharing this song with the world, er, your readers ;)

    As for the new Radiohead - didn't know about this EEEEH! My dad is a truck driver and he used to do a load of concerts and I still remember how fondly he told me about the Radiohead concert he did where he and the band went to a McDonalds together after a show.

    Even though they'd come right from the show and straight down the street, the people IN the McDonalds (who had also come from their show) didn't even recognize them standing in line with them *sigh* I also love Thom's solo stuff as well. Harrowdown Hill is one of my favourites <3

    OKAY I'M RAMBLING, but YAY! I can't wait to read LOLA and the more bombastic, the better, although I am still swooning over Etienne and picturing him as the super cute/awesome/hot British singer/musician George Craig from One Night Only. Oh, lord. It's the hair click.

    I'll also be picking up Supernaturally when it comes out. Eeeh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LinWash – Thank you so much! I hope we DO make it there someday!

    Brittany — ZOMG, THAT HAIR. Yowza! Yes, that's VERY Étienne. :) And, um, I am speechless at the Radiohead story. So cool!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have titled this post "Wherein I Tease my Readers with Vague references to Awesome Stuff."

    *pouts* (BTW, I am a first-class pouter. Ask anyone.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jade — Ha ha ha! You are so right. I'm sorry. Apparently, I'm in one of those moods. I promise to give you something CONCRETE next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a tease. This post is all about things I want that I can't have. YET.

    I love the rare alphabet butterfly, and I'm excited to see the reveal this weekend.

    Wishing you happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ♥ Steph
    I ♥ Lola
    I ♥ people ordering Lola and Supernaturally together
    I ♥ how much you ♥ a certain unnamed character
    I ♥ how someday we will write fanfiction of you and that character together but only after I get some quality time with, well, every single one of your boys
    and finally, I ♥ hearts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to write the title of your blog should have been Vague. Then I looked up and saw that it is the title. Note to self read titles before reading blog post, it will save heart ache.

    PS my word verification is laters so I feel I need to end this post using it.
    Laters ~ Connie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Seriously wow! Thank you for this song. Ah-maz-ing! It has been a long time since I heard something so original. I'm hooked now. And if this is Lola's theme... Okay, I'm gonna have to pre-order it right this minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also <3 Jonsi/Sigur Ros... but RADIOHEAD?!?! OHMYGOODNESS I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL SATURDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is what I often refer to as ADHD posts.

    And I love them.

    I'm really excited to read Lola, but Anna will always have a special place in my heart (being the only book I've ever read and fell in love with that the main character and I share a name), so in my eyes, I'm going to have a hard time admitting defeat if Lola is better.

    *scurries off to read stuff about Supernaturally*

    (also)
    (I'm a big fan)
    (of unnecessary)
    (parentheses)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I liked that song...*goes off to listen to more*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to let you know I finished reading "Anna..." last night. OMG! LOVED it. Etienne and Anna are one of the best written couples I have ever enjoyed reading about.

    I will go forth and spread the word. Thank you, Steph, for such a fabulous novel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait!!! That about sums it all up for me! :)
    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I CAN'T WAIT!

    Oh, BTW, I made my book club read ANNA this month. I can't wait for our discussion...everyone has LOVED it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot wait to see your Anna playlist, Kiersten and your's books, and the Radiohead album. Like, literally, cannot wait. I think I am going to have to find a time machine pronto. I just need to get my hands on a flux capacitor, a Delorean and some plutonium. Hmm, I wonder if ebay would help me there. :)
    Also, I have now let 19 of my friends borrow your book from me, and about half of them have now bought the book. XD LALALA HAPPY TIMES :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you guys support each other's writing. It's great!

    I can't wait to read LOLA. And Supernaturally.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this on my phone yesterday, and apparently my connection wasn't good enough (or I wasn't patient, or both) for the pics to load....I like better with pics. : )

    There is a reason that your blog and Kiersten's are popular, and that is because you both are made of awesome, and it leaks out and gets all over everything you touch. Which is much less gross than it sounds. : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. I. Love. Jonsi. I hardly have anything of his, but I can recognize his voice instantly (i.e. I saw How to Train Your Dragon and KNEW it was him immediately) So this song just made my day! Sigur Ros fueled a lot of my writing for NaNoWriMo the past two years so I LOVE that Jonsi's music is such a big part or your writing. Super exciting!

    So looking forward to reading Lola!! (And I'm totally going to get that CD and listen to it while I read it!!!
    <3 Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. *smiles big* and *waits not so patiently* Have a great day. Saturday is only one day away now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not just Saturday! Today! We get new Radiohead today and I'm going to download my copy right now. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OHMYGAH I love Jónsi! And Animal Arithmetic is my favorite song of his! And the fact that his album fueled inspiration for Lola makes my heart swell <3 I deem you even more awesome than I thought. I have nothing intelligent to say, but I just thought you should know this :)

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.