Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



1.24.2011

Answering Your Questions + Treats



I just rediscovered this picture. My husband baked these pink celebratory cupcakes on my last day as a librarian, almost two years ago. Anna, thankfully, sold to my publisher only two months later. (In other words: The quitting-the-job thing, which EASILY could have backfired, did not.)

Phew!

And here's a celebratory cookie he recently gave me. Because Jarrod is the best, that's why:




Thank you for your recent celebratory blog comments—for cheering me on through Lola, for compliments about the VERVE cover and the John Green post, and for general Anna-related-gushing-awesomeness. You've filled this author's heart with a lot of love. I am lucky to have readers like you.

So it's time to dip into your questions from the comments!


Liz Czukas asked: This is totally unrelated to your current post, but when do we get to see cover art for Lola? I'm jonesing for another dose of the Perkins magic and some cover art might ease my suffering.

Lisa Aldin asked: When do we get to see a cover for Lola?

Anna's cover was revealed last March. My best guess is that Lola's will be revealed around the same time. MAYBE earlier, because it has an earlier release date, but I kind of doubt it. Even I haven't seen it yet!


In response to this—"I'm already preparing to dive into Isla and the Happily Ever After, but there are several adjustments to my lifestyle that need to be considered first."—Kristan asked: Lifestyle adjustments? Pray tell, what do you mean?

I meant that since Anna's release, my life has become more . . . complicated. More email, more requests for my time, more this, more that. And it's GREAT, of course, but it's new.

It means that my daily schedule—which took me a year and a half to figure out, after quitting that library job!—is a wreck again. I'm five months behind on email, I have a large number of overdue interviews, and, oh yeah, I have to write a novel this year. And edit one. And begin another. And provide feedback for my critique partners. And continue promoting Anna and begin promoting Lola and blog and tweet and Facebook.

I'm currently testing new ways to balance these things. (And have a life outside of my career, too!) I have a feeling it'll take time.

But it is, admittedly, a nice problem to have.


Lakien asked: Brazil, really? AWESOME. Can you say which publisher?

Man, I had no idea how huge young adult literature is in Brazil until a few months ago. You Brazilian book bloggers blow my mind! Portuguese rights for Anna and the French Kiss were sold to Brazil's Editora Nova Conceito. I'm not sure when it will be published; you'd have to email them directly.


Brianna Lee asked: I'm an aspiring author and was wondering if you have any tips on writing and getting published, thanks. :)

I frequently talk about writing and publishing here, so you can always browse through my blog's "Writing Advice" label, as well as follow my blog or subscribe to it. Also, I recommend checking out the links and books in my On Writing section!


Robin Mellom asked (in regards to Anna): I grew up in Atlanta so I laughed out loud at the line about EVERYONE in Georgia going to Panama City. Haha! We totally went there every summer. Did you ever live in ATL??

I *LOVE* hearing that I've made someone laugh, but, unfortunately, I can't take credit for that joke. The Panama City line was courtesy of my husband Jarrod, who was raised in Georgia. But I did live in Atlanta for three years, in Decatur, which is also where Anna is from (I never specifically mention it, though locals will recognize the few names I throw out).


Connie Onnie left a gift, a link to this website: Enchanted Serenity of Period Films.

IT'S FABULOUS. The costumes! The swoon!


Marissa (link didn't work?) read my ENTIRE blog (Wowza! Thank you!) and also left a gift: And here's some Chris, my fav HBM :D




Merci! What a cheerful picture. I believe that was from the most recent Bridge School Benefit, correct? I've seen some great videos from that show on YouTube.


Alexa asked: Have you seen the BBC series MI-5? It's on about series five now but Richard Armitage is the lead in the last two series, and before that it was Rupert Penry Jones and before that Matthew Macfadyen - it is chock full of HBM and definitely worth watching.

Nooooooooo! I haven't! It's been in my Netflix queue for ages, and I still haven't found the time to dive in. I will MAKE time this year. Thanks for the reminder.

And now, because you said the magic words, I'm allowed to post a picture of Mr. Darcy. Here is Mr. Darcy in his MI-5 role:




And here is Mr. Darcy as Mr. Darcy:




I love it when someone mentions the magic words!

And I asked you for a list of books that you enjoyed in 2010, and here were your excellent responses:

Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony
The Last Good Place of Lily Odilon by Sara Beitia
Plain Kate by Erin Bow (two mentions!)
Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Matched by Ally Condie
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg
Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly
Ash by Malinda Lo
The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
The Ghosts of Ashbury High by Jaclyn Moriarty
Grace by Elizabeth Scott
Nothing by Janne Teller
Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin

Now I have a NEW question for you. Did anybody try organic eggnog after reading this post? Please tell me that I got at least one of you addicted! This year, I began adding it to my coffee, tea, scrambled eggs, cookies, and biscuits. I already miss it.

Until next year, eggnog! *kisses last carton*

35 comments:

  1. Aww your husband is so sweet. Those baked goodies are awesome. Thanks for posting answers to questions! Good luck with Lola, I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the coolest cookie I've ever seen!!!

    I can't wait to see the cover for Lola. <3

    As much as I believe you, that the Organic Eggnog is amazing, I can't get past the smell. I'll trust your judgment, but forgive me for not trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ANNA cookie made me smile so hard! I LURVE all of your posts--you're too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading the blog so I can't give you credit for me trying organic eggnog but it's nice to hear someone else who is on the bandwagon.
    This year I not only tried organic eggnog but local farm fresh eggnog. Living in Boston there are many farms in the surrounding suburbs. I got so into eggnog that I started having blind taste tests. I ended up trying five brands, hopefully next year I make it to double digits. Definitely try some local farm options next year.
    Anna was amazing. I can't wait to read your next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is so sweet! The cookie looks so good! I can't wait for the cover of Lola and I actually went to school in Decatur so I might recognize the places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I don't actually know Jarrod & it is only in my mind that we are friends.
    I tried to look for the good eggnog but I never found it :(.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what yummy treats! (including the photos of one Mr Macfadyen. :) )

    I looked for the organic eggnog but couldn't find it. All the cool stuff is on the OTHER side of North Carolina where you are. Except the beach. We like the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I did try the eggnog per your recommendation-- and that was before I was even a follower! Someone linked to your post on twitter. Yup, the eggnog was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MeMeMe! I tried the eggnog! It was WONDERFUL! So sweet and creamy. In fact i'm hoarding the last little bit in the back of my fridge right now as I speak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty sure we need to best friends. I mean, we like EXACTLY THE SAME THINGS. Are those the only requirements for best friendship?

    I love you, and Anna, and those baked goods, and John green and Etienne, Etienne, Etienne.

    <3333

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I want to marry that cookie! And about the scheduling...just when you think you get it all figured out, everything changes. (Or one thing changes, but that one thing changes everything.)

    Sometimes I wonder how the writing ever gets done, and I find myself envying those who don't write....the time they must have!! But then I remember to appreciate who I am and where I am in my life, which is all about one word: Lucky.

    And I am also lucky to know (virtually) you!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried it!!!

    And while I really liked the taste, I couldn't get past the thickness of it to enjoy it as a drink. I don't drink coffee, so that was out. My favorite cookies this past holiday season were the TJ's eggnog cookies, so I do love the flavor. It's just not really my thing as a drink, I guess.

    Hmmm... eggs?? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for commenting me back, and you're welcome!! I just arrived in San francisco where I'll be spending the first part of 6 months + abroad and writing (Chicago, NYC, London are next stops, my mum lives in London) and your book makes me so excited to go back to Paris. I discovered macaroons through your blog and they are quite common in Australian cafes now, and I developed quite an addiction to the dark chocolate ones a the lindt store.

    Does SOAP really exist?

    I'm Currently in the SF borders store in the YA section marveling at the range of books in hard cover that we only have in paperback, and how FAT the Harry Potter books are here. Wow. That could not fit in anyone's handbag. The books here are so tall compared to back home. I don't know why this is! I pretty much memorised the entire YA selection back home, but going in there today to see what you guys get, JEALOUS! Not a lot of titles make it to us, I've discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cupcakes look delicious! That was very nice of your hubs. :)

    Great Q&A session, Stephanie, thanks!

    *drools over Mr. Darcy* :P

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried the Eggnog. Sadly EggNog, even organic eggnog, is one of the few American things (like root beer and Hershey kisses) that I can not fall in love with. Those cupcakes though, I would love :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ummmm... I think you have the sweetest husband ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only read one of those books in your recommendations list. I'm going to have to check some of those out. I really want to watch MI5. Sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your schedule gave me a mini heart-attack! I guess that's one of the few perks of being unpublished--freedom. (I'm trying the 'Let's Be Positive' thing. How did I do?)

    Jarrod is made of win!

    Oh, and I watched Jane Eyre the other night. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hee hee, the eggnog, I know -- not organic though. We only have regular stuff (lite) but finally we learned to freeze a bunch of it in early January -- you should see our freezer!

    I second the MI-5 rec, and Plain Kate. *love* Amazingly, I'm so behind on MI-5 though that I haven't seen any Richard Armitage! TV has fallen away out here, alas.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I couldn't find it!!!!!!!!!!!

    Part of that had to do with me being so busy I think I only made it to the store um...once between December 1st and Dec 31st (true story. My cupboards were BARE. Domestic goddess I am not)

    And don't worry about your schedule--I KNOW you will figure it out. I never thought I would adjust to the added workload of WriteOnCon, and now I barely feel it. Well...I'm sure I'll feel it this summer. Then I'll probably be all twitchy. But right now I'm good.

    And twitchyness is kind of cute anyway. I highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw, Jarrod is just the sweetest! I read you story on Gayle's blog, so let me amend that to: You guys are juest the sweetest. No wonder you write such convincing love stories.

    I did not get any eggnog, but it wasn't for lack of trying. There simply is no eggnog to be bought in Norway, organic or otherwise. On my request, my Pan trawled London for some when he was there in December, but he couldn't find any, either. So no eggnog for me. Boo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I just finished reading Anna and I loooved it, well done! I can't wait for the next ones. I hope we see some of Anna and St Clair in them, and I sense that Josh will be there too!
    I have a question - what were the dirty grapes that Anna was eating?

    ReplyDelete
  23. No organic eggnog, but thanks for answering my question! I agree it's a lovely problem to have. I hope to have it someday too. :)

    (I also hope to have the "quitting-the-job thing, which EASILY could have backfired," not. I quit a couple weeks ago, Fri the 4th is my last day, and I'm skeered. But also, STOKED!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tried the organic eggnog! Yummm.
    I also finished your gorgeous book and I'm currently posting gushing and well-deserved reviews around the blogosphere. Can't wait for Lola!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ...hey, wait a minute, scrambled eggs?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I finished Anna today finally! I didn't take the book out with me but I ducked into two different borders stores in the city to read it ha! Loved it :D I especially liked the emails they sent to eachother over Christmas, the one about the promise ring (LOL) and their conversation on the plane together when they were going through the magazine. Can't wait for your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Stephanie! I've got a question about the Neruda book. I was looking on Amazon and couldn't find anything with the title "Kilometer Zero"! Is that a poem from another anthology or am I just getting it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ummm

    One: Your husband is AWESOME

    Two: Those cupcakes and that cookie are AMAZING (and look like they were delicious)

    Three: You're adorable

    Four: I own two songs in french. Le Festin from the Ratatouille Soundtrack and Tout Doucement by Feist. I would loooooove some suggestions for French music! I want to stay in the French mood Anna got me in. :P HELP!

    Meredith :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh and I also loved the Sofia Coppola and Lost in Translation and the "are you awake" emails! ♥ ♥
    And the adorable English boy. And Paris.
    Thank you for writing a book with all my favourite things! (hugs book)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awwwwww your husband is so sweet to make those for you!

    Have you seen Mr Darcy in Frost/Nixon? He was so different, did not like it!

    Eggnog still seems gross to me, sorry! haha

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for answering my question.

    And no thanks for taunting me with Organic Eggnog when I can't get it for months!! WAHHHH!!!

    I am so happy that your book has gotten the attention it deserves and that you are as delightful now as you were before Anna had a home.

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  32. I totally meant to try the eggnog, and procrastinated my way right through the season.....*sigh* Well, there's always next year....I mean, this year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  33. I actually did try organic eggnog based on that post! Of course, I've always loved the eggyness (or, perhaps, the nogginess?) of regular eggnog, so I was a bit skeptical, since that aspect was precisely what you were trying to get away from…but I loved it! Very delicious. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love that someone has mentioned the BBC series (definitely worth a watch, the first series or two with Matthew M in were definitely my favourites).

    I'm a bit confused though.... do you call in 'MI5' over there? In the UK, the program is called 'Spooks'. Maybe the term isn't something that would translate very well?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your husband makes you cupcakes? ( : Wow....

    So excited for you to discover the Moomins. Did you go ahead and order them???

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.