Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



1.14.2011

Across the Universe Launch Party

The fabulous Beth Revis and some other chick.


Lola and the Boy Next Door has been turned in (YAY YAY YAY), and to celebrate . . . I left my house! Which was exciting. I've left my house a grand total of two — maybe three — times in the last month.


ME: GAAHHH! Is it always this bright outside? *blink blink blink*

HUSBAND: *snort*


Jarrod and I drove to Forest City to join in the celebrations for the release of Beth Revis's Across the Universe. Unfortunately, we got crummy directions from Google Maps and missed the first ten minutes. But we did arrive in time to hear Beth read an excerpt (amazing) and answer questions (ditto).




The crowd was huge and happy, and Beth was gracious and glowing, and I can't imagine a better way to begin this next stage of her career. This book is about to be MASSIVE. North Carolina authors rock!

[And I wish you could see her hair better in the top picture. I was somewhat obsessed. It's really, really long and beautiful, and she had it curled, and there were these awesome sparkly barrettes. Beth has PRINCESS HAIR, you guys.]

Several book bloggers drove up to see her, and it was great meeting them, too. Some of them even brought a copy of Anna for me to sign, because they knew I was coming! That kind of flattery gets you everywhere, my friends.


With Tiffani . . .


. . . Bethany . . .


. . . and Jeffrey and Jeremy.


Seriously, ladies and gents, how cute are those twins?

In the most wonderful, unexpected moment, I also met Lois Moss. I've known Lois through blogging for two-ish (or more?) years, and it was great to finally in-person talk. I knew our paths would cross someday.


Someday = Today


We had a fantastic chat in which I convinced her to watch The Pillars of the Earth, and she convinced me to send her my advanced copy of Sarah Dessen's latest.

Ha! Love her.

Now I'm home, and it's early morning, and my body is still messed up from revisions, and I'm relieved but nervous to have my life back. It's not quite the same one that I had before. I'm already preparing to dive into Isla and the Happily Ever After, but there are several adjustments to my lifestyle that need to be considered first.

Truthfully, I feel a little bit lost right now. And dazed.

New Year.

New book.

New start.

Thank goodness for new starts. Good luck, Beth, and here's wishing you a GREAT start!

28 comments:

  1. I think your new book needs cute twins.
    Happy New Start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her hair does look great!

    It sounds like an awesome party.

    Welcome back to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lifestyle adjustments? Pray tell, what do you mean?

    Also, I COVET that book. But I'm buying it in print, not instantly on my Kindle, because the covers are JUST. TOO. GORGEOUS. Kind of like her princess hair, I suppose.

    (I would faint with happiness if my covers looked like that someday...)

    Anyhoot, congrats on turning in LOLA! I can't wait to read her too. And enjoy some rest before diving into ISLA. You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read Across the Universe. I read the first chapter when Beth posted it a while ago and I was hooked.

    I also cover her princess hair. And your awesome coral shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for sending off Lola & Yay for working on Isla! I am excited to read Across The Universe, I have only heard good things! I am not sure it would be appropriate for me to say how cute those twins with red head are but I will say that red heads will always hold a special place in my heart especially tall ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you! And I'm dying to get a copy of Across the Universe, hopefully soon. Beth seems so nice, I hope I get to meet her sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, Beth! I'm convinced she way injected with writer goo before birth. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great! Congrats on having your life back. Always a nice feeling. When do we get to see a cover for Lola?

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! So glad you're done with Lola!! And how awesome is Beth? I LOVE her. I'm about halfway through AtU and it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, how cute are those twins? Lol That's me! It was awesome to finally meet you, Steph! We had a blast and even gad a great time talking to your husband! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lot of fun. And congrats on Lola.

    I started Anna and it is all kinds of awesome and sweet and filled with the pitter-patter of love-tensioned hearts!

    Gushing review to follow on the blog in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Thank goodness for new starts." Yes, exactly - I hope yours is everything that you want it to be.

    I'm very excited to read "Across the Universe." I love your pictures, and I'm not at all surprised to learn that Beth has princess hair. What a happy day.

    Did you think "Fred and George" even for a little bit before you started talking to the twins, or is it just me? They were my favorite HP characters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwwwwwwww YAY for turning in LOLA and so glad you had a nice time. I'm bitterly, horribly jealous, but I'll put those feelings aside and just say: thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. the honest truth is if john green hadnt told me to, i probably wouldve never picked up your book. and im loving it and now im on your blog. so thank john cause he introduced your book to legions of nerdfighters :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart flutters at the thought that you said I had princess hair. *fluttery*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Across the Universe and hope she has much success. Glad Lola is in the can and you can enjoy the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoo ha heee! Yay for Lola! Yay for Isla! And new years and new books. We can do it!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lola is done! Yo did it! Yay Stephanie!

    Also, the Weasly twins, pretty version, are your fans! That's just amazing! I always fancied Fred or George in the books and sort of ignored the actors in the film. (Not that there was anything wrong with them, but they didn't look like my Weasly twins).

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's me, Bethany :D
    It was my first time going to a booky event, so I felt a lttle awkward at first :P
    It tuned out to be super brilly!
    It was fun meeting and talking to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just finished reading Anna, and now I read that Lola is done! YAY! Can't wait!

    I need to read ATU! So much. Beth's hair looks amazing. Princess hair, lol.

    Have fun with Isla, don't get too crazy! Take deep breaths.

    xo, Ella

    theclockmonkey2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hurray for Lola! This is some exciting news. :)

    Sounds like you've met a load of really awesome people lately. :D Thanks for introducing us.

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been lurking for a while, so I might as well come out of the shadows. I had to comment, because I was reading about Beth's release party on her blog and I got kind of stuck on her hair...(Just picture me, stroking the computer screen, saying, "Preeeety." over and over.)

    And now, reading your post, I pretty much got stuck on your awesome top. But I didn't stroke you.

    ...maybe I should go back into the shadows...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stephanie, I'm so glad I got to know about you! I absolutely LOVED your book and your blog/tweets/website always make me smile. You seem like such an awesome person, I hope I get to meet you sometime! :) I also can't wait for Lola to come out! In the mean time though, I suppose I'll just have to obsessively read Anna over and over again for the next 8 months. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! This reminded me that I must mail you Anna like tomorrow to be in time for her birthday. Will do! I don't know what it is with me and the post office.. on the way tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry I'm a little late to this party. I've been fighting sickness since the signing. What a fun night it was though! It was FABULOUS meeting you and comparing book and movie notes. Sherlock is now at the top of my netflix queue. I can't wait to get them. I wish I'd thought to bring my Anna. Oh well. That will have to be for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVED Pillars of the Earth! Also, I just ordered Across the Universe. Hooray for great books and the cool people who make them! : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh wowwwww i just found out that beth used to teach at a high school in my school district O.o !

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am leaving Melbourne Australia in 2 days to go to the states and london for the rest of the year and was looking for plane-reading material in Borders here, and LOW AND BEHOLD I saw it !!!!!! I never buy books but I bought yours. xo. I've read 4 chapters already, I couldn't help myself. And i've been to Paris before also. There's something about this book that is like a little guilty pleasure. And Etienne says the swooniest things, I swear. Most love-interests are very corny and not at all special but he flirts with the reader, even! Good WORK!!

    Here's the pic: http://i52.tinypic.com/34eback.jpg

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.