Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



12.13.2010

OMGJANEEYRE

GUYSGUYSGUYS!!!

Did you know the 2011 Jane Eyre trailer is online? And if so, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME? This type of information is crucial to my happiness and well-being!





Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

I was nervous when I heard they were making another one when the 2006 production was so top-notch, but it looks like I had nothing to fear. (Meaning: I should have learned my lesson after 2005's Pride and Prejudice, which turned out to be one of my favorite films ever. Bless you, Focus Features, for consistently making quality cinema.)

Anyway, the new Rochester is all dreamy and grouchy, and there's riding on black horses and crumbling manors and people running through storms and KISSING and shouting "JAAAAAAAANE!!!" and COULDN'T YOU JUST DIE???????????

Humina, humina.

It was only last week that I was lamenting with a friend about the lack of period costume dramas this year. Usually, we get two-ish a year. In 2009, we had Bright Star and The Young Victoria. This year? Nada. Sure, there were a few films with standout costumes—Alice in Wonderland, Black Swan—and there was at least one cool-looking period piece (The King's Speech, which has not yet made it to my hometown and I'm kind of dying), but there was definitely no combo with kissing in the rain or swooning ladies or brooding men or any of that stuff that I need in my life to survive.

(And if there was, for the love of all things holy, please let me know in my comments.)

Also, I'm swooning over the poster. Seriously. LOOK AT THE PRETTY:




GAAAAHHHHHH.

NOW NOW NOW I NEED THIS NOW.

NOW!!!

Okay. Trying to calm down. It's just difficult not to get worked up when I haven't had anything like this in a year. I'm like an addict who thought she'd come clean, who suddenly gets a whiff of crack and is all, GIMME THE CRACK PIPE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST GIVE ME THE CRACK PIPE NOW I NEED IT.

I've been saving April Linder's Jane as a reward for when I finish revising Lola (along with Steve Martin's latest, an advanced copy of the new Sarah Dessen, and ten thousand other books making me salivate), but now that I've seen the new trailer, it feels especially tragic to have to wait.




"Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, a world-famous rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance.

But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is soon tested by an agonizing secret from his past. Torn between her feelings for Nico and his fateful secret, Jane must decide: Does being true to herself mean giving up on true love?

An irresistible romance interwoven with a darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers."


Lusty sigh.

But going back to movies . . . even though there was a definite lack this year, there were still a few good ones rattling around. Which films were your favorites? My top picks are 127 Hours, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and the new Harry Potter.

And—on an unrelated subject that I feel strongly compelled to mention—did you see this video of Conan O'Brien talking about sucky DC superheroes? Ha ha ha!

25 comments:

  1. Wow, AWESOME TRAILER! I didn't even know they made a movie on Jane Eyre...this looks soooo good. *squeal* I can't wait until it comes out. :)

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. April Lindner's book is FABULOUS, read it as soon as you can. *is an enabler*

    I also CANNOT wait for the new movie, it is so Gothic, and dark and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, so much to comment!

    1. OMG I hadn't seen the trailer either, but now that I have, ohmyGod! it looks as fantastic as the 2006 one, well perhaps this Jane looks a bit too young for me, but hey, she's still got the epic hairdo (:

    2. I reaaaaaaaaally want to read April Linder's Jane, it was the november book in Meg Cabot's book club, but I was overwhelmed with exams ):

    3. You got an ARC of the new Sarah Dessen?!? I'm so jealous! LUCKYYOU.

    4. I loved the social network (yes, I'm one of those) but really it was so good and definitely different, also Tangled and Easy A were great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhhhhh that is awesome! I feel you, WHERE have all the good costume dramas been this year?

    I'm still crossing my fingers toes and eyes for Focus to tackle Persuasion. The British one is good. But Focus would rock its socks off and I get a little giddy just dreaming that it could be possible. Pretty sure it won't happen, but I refuse to give up hope!

    I haven't read JANE yet, but I've heard awesome things.

    As for me, favorite movies of the year (sadly I haven't seen very many--stupid crazy schedule) are TANGLED, HP3, and Toy Story 3. The last one made me cry SO hard--I tear up just thinking about it--but dang that was some amazing animation. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I saw this trailer a couple weeks ago -- it didn't occur to me that you might not have known about it yet. At first glance I was kinda nonplussed by the casting, but it is slowly growing on me. (Toby Stephens left some massive shoes to fill.)

    My favorite movie of the year is definitely The Social Network. Holy brilliant acting, batman. And hands down the best soundtrack ever, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does Babe count? Oh wait, that came out like last century. It's a good movie though. Talking animals is kind of my thing cinematically.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks SO AWESOME!! I can't freaking wait to see the movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt exactly the same way when I saw the trailer over a month ago. Sorry I did twitter see... "How did I not know that they were making a new Jane Eyre movie? http://www.movieweb.com/movie/jane-eyre-2011/trailer" 4:52 PM Nov 9th via web
    I felt like I was failing as a Period Film Fiend, so I found a new site to help me keep up on my addiction.
    http://enchantedserenityperiodfilms.blogspot.com/
    I did notice the lack of my favorite films so I borrowed Lark Rise to Candleford from my library. A BBC series it is kind of like the English version of Anna of Green Gables. It is not great but I did like the love interest in season 2 Fisher Bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I studied Jane Eyre in Year 12 English which kind of ruined the story for me ( a 45 min presentation on the topic will do that!). BUT I am looking forward to the movie.

    Let me know what the book is like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you, Steph. You always know about this kind of stuff before I do, and you share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Jane Eyre trailer has been out for a while but it's the first time I've seen the poster.

    Oh you should read Jane soon! It's a faithful retelling but it has enough new details thrown it to make it more believable. I really enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was nervous about the new Jane Eyre too, but it looks so good!

    I somehow hadn't heard about Jane so thanks for the recommendation!

    Movies of 2010: The Social Network, Toy Story 3, Inception, and Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AHHHHH JANE EYRE!!!! HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS???? CRIMES!!!!

    Jane and Rochester are probably my fave characters ever. The trailer seriously made me cry (sooooo excited)!

    Oh, and I watched Bright Star for the zillionth time this past weekend <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOOK AT THE PRETTY is right! That poster is amazing.

    I'm so excited for the FF version of Jane. I swear, anytime I'm watching previews and I start drooling, it's ALWAYS for a Focus Features movie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have huge hopes for this, despite it being one of my favourite books. The actress playing Jane was pretty hopeless in Alice in Wonderland.

    I think I will stick to the BBC version with the glorious Toby Stephens as Rochester *swoons*...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just popped over to say a huge big excited SQUEEEEEEE! about Anna And The French Kiss being mentioned in John Green's 8 Things I Love video on Vlogbrothers. It was hysterical and what a brilliant recommendation to get!!!! Congrats Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVED the trailer. Thanks for the heads up. Jane Eyre is a personal fave. I've been very disappointed with the films coming out this year too. Not much I want to see. There are, as you said, a precious few worth the money. The books this year have been fabulous though. Anna and the French Kiss was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So few good movies this year! I liked It's Kind of a Funny Story and Kisses (although I guess this technically came out earlier. But I couldn't get it until this year!)

    I actually REALLY liked Robin Hood. It's not pretty costumes but I liked that movie. It's very different than what they made it look like it was going to be, I think.

    I feel like next year is going to be so much better. Speaking of costumes, Water for Elephants is out next year, which hopefully delivers on the costume front!

    Oh - and did you see where John (Freaking!) Green gave out a shout out to your lovely book? Congrats!

    http://dft.ba/-plusahenrycameo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally agree about the costume dramas!

    I can't wait to see The King's Speech...Colin Firth *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, it was made for TV, but wasn't the new Emma this year? I loved that!

    And I'm ashamed to say I've never read Jane Eyre *runs and hides*

    I agree Scott Pilgrim is one of my favorite movies of the year-so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't know, THANK YOU!
    But on the subject of movies this year, how could you not mention Despicable Me? I adore that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow Thanks for sharing that trailer! I LoveLoveLoveLove Jane Eyre!

    ReplyDelete
  23. But Stephanieeee have you seen Lark Rise to Candleford?

    Sooooo good, BBC period dramas outstrip them all - there are 3 seasons so far with the fourth due to be aired in January.

    Not so sure I will like this new JE. The trailer shows it's already minced one of the best bits of the 2006 adaptation ('do you think that because I am poor, obscure, and *little*...' - go on, go and rewatch 2006 and tell me you don't think it's just exquisite).

    ...the precedent, of course, is that I hated with a passion P&P 2005. But then it grew on me. And now I own it. I don't actually know what that means. XD XD

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooooo, I bet you'll really enjoy JANE :) Before this year I'd actually never read JANE EYRE (*hangs head in shame*), but I decided I needed to read more classics and it was at the top of my list. I. Loved. It. Then I read JANE and definitely enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Henry and I just watched the trailer five times. He wants to watch it again....silly two-year old. But Stephanie! Jane Eyre! In the movies! I can't WAIT. I. Love. The Book.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.