Welcome to December!
This is a PSA for eggnog-haters. I realize this is most (or all) of you. I know, I know. Eggnog is disgusting. You try it every three or four years, willing to give it another shot because it sounds festive and delicious. And then you taste it. And then you remember why you hate it.
Three years ago, I was you.
Three years ago, I was introduced to organic eggnog.
And guys. GUYS. You know everything you hate about eggnog? The taste? The color? THE TASTE? Well . . . ORGANIC EGGNOG LOOKS AND TASTES NOTHING LIKE REGULAR STORE-BOUGHT EGGNOG.
Seriously. Nothing like it.
It's not canary yellow, the ingredients list is short and tidy and every word is recognizable, and—here's where the magic happens—NO CORN SYRUP. Corn syrup may be yummy in your Mountain Dew and Twizzlers, but it's making your eggnog taste like a car battery.
The only brand I've tried is Organic Valley, and it's so scrumptious that I have no reason to experiment. So there's my official endorsement. Organic Valley Eggnog. My husband and I drink ours in penguin-shaped mugs with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.
THIS EGGNOG WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
Continuing in spirit of things-that-don't-suck, I've uploaded my personal holiday playlist here on 8tracks.com! Sixteen Christmas tracks, plus one for Hanukkah. Jarrod and I have been listening to some variation of this for years.
Because 8tracks doesn't show the full tracklisting—and because I'm the type of person who likes to know exactly what's coming—here are the seventeen songs. Breeze past the red and green text if you DO like surprises!
CHRISTMAS MUSIC THAT DOESN'T SUCK
(1) Spotlight On Christmas — Rufus Wainwright
(2) Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight) — The Ramones
(3) Santa Claus Is Back In Town — Elvis Presley
(4) Donde Esta Santa Claus? — Guster
(5) Christmas With You Is the Best — The Long Winters
(6) Frosty the Snowman — The Ronettes
(7) Christmas Wrapping — The Waitresses
(8) Little Drum Machine Boy — Beck
(9) I Wish It Was Christmas Today — Julian Casablancas
(10) Hating You For Christmas — Everclear
(11) The Christmas Song — The Ravonettes
(12) White Christmas — Otis Redding
(13) Maybe This Christmas — Ron Sexsmith
(14) When I Get Home for Christmas — Snow Patrol
(15) Carol of the Meows — Guster
(16) The Christmas Party — The Walkmen & Nicole Sheahan
(17) 2000 Miles (Christmas) — Coldplay
If I had to pick a favorite track, I'd go with Guster's "Carol of the Meows." You'll have to hear it to believe it. It makes me grin every time.
Do you have a favorite holiday song? And are you willing to give eggnog another chance? Let me know in the comments!