Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



11.29.2010

Tick Tock . . . Tick Tock . . .

Oh, man! I love this "So You Want to Write a Novel" video that has been circulating amongst the publishing world:





"Have you ever attempted to write a novel-length manuscript?"


"I've already written the first page. It's really awesome. I plan to finish by the end of the week. Do you think I can get it published in time for the Christmas shopping season?"



HA HA HA HA HA! *wipes tear from eye* *looks at Lola document* *laughs until cries again*

So . . . I've been wanting to tell you about this:


♥ The front window display of my favorite bookstore. ♥


I took that picture ten days ago at Malaprop's in downtown Asheville, North Carolina. I'd always pictured my first wild book-spotting as a scenario where I'd discover a copy or two tucked in the back on a crowded shelf, so finding a LARGE DISPLAY in the FRONT WINDOW of my FAVORITE BOOKSTORE was one of the most . . . astonishing moments of my life. I think I hugged the employees a dozen times.

I also did things like point to the cover and say, "That's my name!" and then to my picture on the back flap. "THAT IS ME!"

(If you are reading this, Caroline and Alsace, thank you again for humoring this very excitable writer.)

So . . . yes. Anna has been for sale here for nearly two weeks. I've also heard that Barnes & Noble's online orders shipped before Thanksgiving, and Anna has been spotted inside of Borders. I should probably be keeping this under wraps, so that I can have better sales on my actual release date, but . . . whatever.

I just want people to read my book!

My official release date is this Thursday, December 2nd, and my release day party will be held at Malaprop's that evening at 7:00 p.m. The Sisters McMullen bakery is generously donating mini-chocolate croissants to the cause. If you live in or around Asheville, I hope you'll attend! I would *LOVE* to see you there. Your support and friendship is very, very appreciated.


I have no idea where this picture of Colin Firth came from.


Yesterday, I worked for twenty-two hours. (That's normal, right?) First on Lola, and then on interviews and emails, and then on Anna-related extras for this site. I'd like to have the extras go live this Thursday, but the thing is . . . I HAVE TO WRITE THEM. Ack! I hope some of them will be ready, but I'll definitely have them up by the end of December.

I'm preparing something really, really embarrassing. Here's a hint: Anna’s original name. And √Čtienne’s alternate first name, which I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH how HILARIOUS and HORRIBLE it is. Also, you’ll finally learn the name of Lola's Boy Next Door! For reals! All in one deliciously humiliating package.

Stay tuned.

More Scattered Anna News (sorrysorrysorry)

NPR named Anna as one of the top five YA novels of the year. Holy moly! Even better is that the writer of the article is one of *my* favorite writers, the brilliant and beautiful Gayle Forman. I am honored. I've read all of the novels with the exception of Dana Reinhardt's, which I'll be purchasing soon, because I love Gayle's other selections. It's so flattering and exciting to be in their company. And on NPR's website.

Because, really. NPR!!!

Also, if you have a moment, it would mean a lot to me if you visited the NPR link and clicked on "recommend" at the top of the article. If it gets enough recommends, they'll record it for the radio! Which would be amazing! Thank you for your help.

The most fun interview of the week was the one for my friend Lisa Madigan. Love, love, love her. Have you picked up her latest, The Mermaid's Mirror? I reviewed it halfway through this post. It's a beautiful read.

And the most fun review of the week (part one, part two) was this hilarious quad-review in which √Čtienne St. Clair is referred to as a "hot hobbit" aka, "the hobbit all the other hobbits were in love with." Guys . . . I WILL NEVER HAVE A MORE AWESOME REVIEW THAN THAT.


Hot Hobbits


Speaking of, how have we not discussed how awesome it is that Martin Freeman (aka: Sherlock's boyfriend) will be the newest Hot Hobbit? And that RICHARD freaking ARMITAGE (aka: Mr. Thornton in the greatest BBC romance not enough people have heard about) will be playing Thorin?


RICHARD freaking ARMITAGE


Will it be better than The Lord of the Rings?

PERHAPS.

Book-wise, I actually do like The Hobbit better than The Lord of the Rings. And I'd happily talk Middle Earth all night, but . . . work beckons. Have a wonderful evening!

28 comments:

  1. SQUEEEEEEE!!!!! On so many fronts! And YES! Thanks for the Hot Hobbits shout out! I cannot wait to find Anna in the stores and read all the extras.

    Stephanie, you rock! Enjoy this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Congrats and good luck with the release day party! :)

    P.S. Thanks for the hot pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm on awesome overload from all the awesome in this post. So I'm just going to say: YAY and hop over to NPR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much awesome in this blog! I cannot WAIT to get Anna. I'm going to go hunting for it on Friday! Also, love that the bloke from Sherlock is going to do more Things That Are Awesome, because he is awesome.

    I will have to check out those other YA books. I'm contemplating my own books-of-the-year list as well.

    So excited!

    Chelsey (the one who went to Oglethorpe)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really excited for your book to be released here in L.A. I've been waiting forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Etienne the Hot Hobbit review! :P Congratulations on all the awesome feedback, Stephanie, you totally deserve it!

    ASHEVILLE! *SCREAMS* THAT'S VERY CLOSE TO WHERE I AM! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Anna! :)

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome about the review of your book! Can't wait to read it.

    And that video! "I've got a gun in my car."

    ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness. I think my very own HBM may have to revive me. Too much hotness for one post!

    So excited for you over Anna, and especially to see that Gayle named it one of the Top 5!! Now I know it's around, I'm off to scout my local Borders and B&N tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wahooooo! So excited for you about Anna! I can't wait to read it. Your bookstore display is amazing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You worked for twenty two hours! Shoot now I have to stay up all night, I thought no one made those kinds of sacrifices for the sake of finishing a novel. By the way, I love Richard freaking Armitage and North and South (which I own and watch the ending over and over, it's an obssession)oh and last but not least Colin Firth, for thanks for the inspiration!

    One last thing... Congratulations for the book release!!! That's so awesome!!! (the window display is also awesome)

    ReplyDelete
  11. AND I SAW IT IN BORDERS!!!!

    Sorry, but really when I saw it sitting there on the shelf I did a double take and let out this weird squeaky noise. I'm pretty sure the guy walking passed me thought an animal had just been stepped on or something.

    I'm really excited to see all the extra features posted on your website soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to add, North and South is my FAVE BBC movie--couldn't leave without posting that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so AWESOME!!!!! Going to NPR now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yay! that's so exciting!!!
    and thanks for sharing that funny little video.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so HAPPY for you! This is just a massive wave of awesomeness you've got going here, and it's fantastic just to watch it hit you <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wooo!! (That's me screaming from Oz. I'm loud, right?)

    There's so much awesomeness in this post--I don't know what to comment on??!!

    Props on the NPR article. (Yeah, I'm gangsta like that.)

    North and South!! We totally speak the same language.

    The Hobbit!! Woo!! One of my first pieces of fiction was a poem about The Hobbit which I wrote in Year 8. My English teacher told me Tolkien himself would be proud of it. Somehow I doubt it.

    1 DAY AND 17 HOURS TO GO!!!

    And now I go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have yet to read your actual post because I am laughing so hard I am crying at that video!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will read post now.

    *still laughing and want to watch video again*

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, NPR is just really, really smart.

    And that's all I have to say about that.

    Congratulations on the most beautiful window display in the entire world. It's lovely.

    Etienne has an alternate name??? Wha???

    Cannot wait to find out!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, yay all around! (Love, love, love the window display.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. so I told Kerry to go to your NPR article and click "recommend" and he said "I feel old and dirty dirty for recommending a tween romance novel." awesome window display. I can't believe it's only 2 days away! 2 days! so so so happy for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. i almost broke a window for Anna . . . well . . . i wanted to! i’m on the silly amazon list like the rest of the world but just so happened to see your PHENOMENAL WINDOW DISPLAY at malaprop’s late one night. it looked exactly like the lovely photo you posted—piles of your beautiful books behind a huge glass window! i’m disappointed that malaprop’s does not have a 24 hr kiosk so that Anna is always available :) i’m so happy for you (and all of your superb reviews). we’re looking forward to your party!! michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! I'm so excited for you! Yesterday, my roommate got her copy of Anna in the mail that she won at Wrockstock and we jumped around our living room for like 5 minutes. We really really wanted to start reading it right then but we both had to write papers. :( But yeah, we freaked out for a very long time after my roommate opened the package. There are very few things as awesome as having a signed copy of a book that's not even officially released yet, I was so excited for her! I can't wait to get my own copy, I know I'm going to love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! That display!!! And hobbits, and that video, and yeah, I'm stoked about the Hobbit movie casting.....What a post!!! : )

    Also, after reading that lovely review, I think I want to read Anna too.....oh wait, I was already going to! : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant! I saw the NPR thing but will go back and click the button and the window display is amazing - how fantastic! Congratulations!

    I had no idea Martin Freeman had been cast or Richard Armitage *squeal* I can't wait!

    Have you seen the BBC series M15? It's on about series five now but RA is the lead in the last two series, and before that it was Rupert Penry Jones and before that Matthew Macfadyn - it is chock full of HBM and definitely worth watching,

    ReplyDelete
  25. That video was halarious, in a dry humor kind of way. Yep, some people don't realize just hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow much work writing a novel is. That pic of Colin Firth doesn't really look like him. I am excited for your book to release so I can read it! Big smile on my face. Good luck and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Eeeee! You're going to have so much fun at your event! I just got off the phone w/ someone at Malaprop's, who obligingly took my order, even though it was after hours. (Er, I forgot I was in a different time zone.) I think the bookseller sensed my urgent need to order up some ANNAS right away!

    More eeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. No way! I didn't know Richard Armitage was playing Thorin! I was already excited about their choice for Bilbo, but . . .

    Oh, and NPR should totally take on Anna.

    Love the display window and the name of the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.