Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



8.23.2010

BEDITSHOA: Oh, is there an important book being released at midnight?

Photo by Leigh Taylor


"See all that grass down there?" she asked.

Hovering over the lawn, all he could see was grass. "Yeah, I see it," he said. His voice cracked a little because he was thinking about moving his sneaker over to touch hers, which, of course, he didn't.

"So this music," she said, "it makes me feel like, even though I'm looking at a whole bunch of grass, all I can see is a single blade."

This was the great thing about Anabelle. She spoke so poetically about music. Tobin knew what he liked and what he didn't like, but talking about it never came naturally to him. "That is the most absolute perfect way to describe it," he told her.


I'm not sure if it was because BEDITSHOA (Blog Every Day in the Second Half of August) is wearing me out or if it was because I blogged so late, but yesterday I had a difficult time explaining why I love Hillary Frank's The View from the Top. So I wanted to give it one more shot by including the above (appropriate for my stumble-y thoughts) excerpt.

It's a wonderful book. I hope you read it.

Though . . . I shouldn't even pretend we're not thinking about anything other than Mockingjay right now. Jarrod and I are leaving for the midnight party at Malaprop's in just a bit.* We already have our plan of attack: He'll read our copy until he falls asleep tonight, and then I'll read the whole thing, and then he'll finish it tomorrow when he gets home from work.

We make a good team.

He was certainly on my mind when I saw this (un-embeddable) beautiful, happy, sad video about a couple in Brooklyn who were "married for 27 years and in love the entire time." I watched it twice, and I cried twice! Thanks to Bob Boyle for finding it.




I'm off for the night. I hope you all—whether Team Gale or Team Peeta—enjoy Mockingjay. You won't hear any spoilers from me, so I ask that you please extend the same courtesy and refrain from putting spoilers in my comments. Thank you!

*EDITED TO ADD: Whoops. It's a regular release party tomorrow, not a midnight release party tonight. One of these days, I will read websites more carefully. Guess I'll pick it up in the morning!

13 comments:

  1. They're both great, but I just really love Peeta.

    I won't get Mockingjay until Thursday. I'm going into semi Internet blackout to avoid spoilage.

    Thanks for all the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be at a release party tonight too. After we've read., let's twitter discuss! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia — You are very, very welcome!

    Suzanne — Twitter DM discuss, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have no idea how envious I am of you. Not because of the midnight release party, but the fact that Jarrod is going to read Mockingjay!

    Don't get me wrong, I love my husband hardcore, but I still cannot work out how I ended up with a non-reader. I mean, seriously? It is my life's mission to convert him.

    I guess opposites do attract.

    Have fun at the party!

    Also, can I be Team Finnick?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sob.

    I want to write to Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That video was amazing. Sad. But amazing.

    I won't get Mockingjay until my copy of Paranormalcy is sent, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man. I am such an easy crier (cryer?). I could only watch it once, because I didn't want to have to blow my nose all over again. It just makes it that much more sad that it's a real interview. Although, I don't think that the couple would give up those 27 years, even if they knew beforehand that it wouldn't end well.

    On a lighter note, I'm sooo excited for Mockingjay, but my mom won't let me buy it right away because I start school this week. She knows me and my reading/lack of sleeping habits too well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Ben will read it before I will, or he'll start it first, and then I'll read it in one gulp, and he'll finish it later (like you guys). Mine isn't supposed to be here until Thursday either, and seeing pictures of the cover everywhere I go on the internet isn't helping me fight down my urgent need to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine's not coming until Thursday either...I just finished Flash Burnout (thanks again for the recommendation), and Illyria is sitting in my mailbox at the library. But I probably shouldn't start it until after I've had the chance to read Mockingjay, bc I know I'll drop everything when it comes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank for RTing the link to that video yesterday. I could cry just thinking about it right now.

    I'm waiting patiently (or not so much) for my copy of Mockingjay to get here this afternoon. *hurryhurryhurry*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got it at 3 am EST, which happens to be 4 am, Japan Standard Time, the exact time I get off work. Devoured it! Was great! Will probably reread the whole series when this hectic week is over.

    Upside: August is almost over!!! (Which for the unARCed of us, also means we'll get PARANORMALCY soon and we'll be one month closer to ANNA. SWOOOOOOON!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love that quote! I'lldefinitely be checking out that book.

    As for Mockingjay I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the 21+ only:
    http://www.foreveryoungadult.com/2010/08/18/the-long-awaited-hunger-games-drinking-game/

    Hope you all enjoy reading the last in the series!

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.