Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



5.21.2010

Gobs and Gobs of Happy Stuff

Hurrah! I've been given the okay to share some of my mysterious GOOD NEWS.

I'm not even sure where to begin. Everything happened quickly and all at once! So I'll just jump right in.

First . . .

DANKE, RANDOM HOUSE GERMANY!!!




I received my first foreign sale. Thank you, Germany! I am thrilled — THRILLED — that Anna will be on your shelves! It has been many years since I've been to Germany (apart from that fifteen minutes I spent running through Frankfurt's airport in January), but suddenly I have a very strong hankering to return. Ich bin gl├╝cklick!

[I hope that means "I'm happy." My German is sadly worse than my French. It is a good thing, indeed, that authors do not translate their own novels.]


Second . . .

I GOT BLURBED BY TWO AMAZING AUTHORS!!!

Blurbs are those wonderful little quotes that go on book covers, where Very Important People tell you to Read This Book.

Blurbs are extremely exciting for new authors. Here are mine:




"Very sly. Very funny. Very romantic. You should date this book."
— Maureen Johnson

"Imagine a mug of rich, thick hot chocolate. Now add a swirl of sweet whipped cream. Yummy? Oui. Well, Anna and the French Kiss is richer, sweeter, and—yes—even hotter. You're in for a very special treat.”
— Lauren Myracle


Aren't those ADORABLE??

My head is spinning. I'm not even sure what to say here, you guys. I mean, blurbs are incredible, no question. It means someone liked your book! Enough to put THEIR NAME on it! And Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle are both New York Times bestselling authors. So that'll look awesome on my cover, right?

But here's the thing.

Maureen and Lauren aren't just anyone. I've loved their work for years. I buy their novels in hardcover. I read them multiple times and mark my favorite passages. When I was a librarian, I relentlessly faced-out copies of Maureen's Girl at Sea and Suite Scarlett and Lauren's Winnie Years series. I shoved their books into the hands of library patrons on a regular basis. And when their books were challenged or banned (The Bermudez Triangle and TTYL), I made sure those books were sitting on our shelves. I dreamed of one day being able to write like them.

And now they have read my book. And they liked it.

And it feels like nothing short of a miracle.


Third . . .

I saw what my ARCs (Advanced Reading Copies) will look like — inside AND out! And it's beautiful. The designers did a spectacular job, above and beyond my expectations. I can't wait to show you!


Fourth . . .

I have film representation!

If you aren't in the book industry, I want to make it clear that MANY authors have film representation and ALMOST ALL OF THEM see nothing come of it. But I've heard only wonderful things about my agent, and I am over-the-moon to find my toe unexpectedly in this door!


So . . .

HUGE HUGE HUGE thank you to my agent Kate Schafer Testerman, my German sub-agent, my film agent, my editor, my book designer, Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson, and everyone else who made this a mind-boggling week!


But . . .

The best part? My favorite piece of good news isn't even my own. A very dear friend had an EVEN BETTER week. But because it's not *my* news, it isn't mine to share. You shall have to wait!

42 comments:

  1. WOW -- what an exciting list of happiness! Congratulations on everything!! I hope you get extra smooches from James McAvoy to celebrate. :) (And maybe some nuzzles from the pygmy goat that showed up that one time. Pygmy goat nuzzles sound nice and celebratory, don't they?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole post is making me soooo happy! I Love it! WOOT! Those are fantastic blurbs...so who do I have to bribe to get an arc? WANT-WANT-WANT!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congratulations! You totally deserve all this, plus one of those yummy mugs of hot chocolate. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! Rock on, girlie :) This is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you!! So much good news all at once. I love reading about cascading good news! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG-I can't stop smiling for you! I hope you're out celebrating--you SO deserve it! *Hopes you'll be running ARC contests soon because I WANT one!*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeee! HOW FABULOUS. Not that I'm surprised at all, but YAY. I'm happy for good news, and I can't wait for more from this friend of yours. Whoever she may be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blurbs are very pretty. Your first foreign rights sale! Next will be France, right? I'm glad you posted the good news so quickly after hinting you had good news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm gonna take Maureen's advice and date your book.

    What a great week.....can't wait to hear the next news...

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are just fantastic blurbs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yaya YAY steph! Many many happy wishes for even better weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just came back to read your blurbs again.

    /dreamy sigh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blurbs! Congratulations on everything happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Steph! What a fab week you've had.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is SO amazing! Congrats to you on all of your spectacular news! And didn't I tell you that it was going to be a film?!!! (Would still love to do makeup when the time comes--and Paris is close to me!)

    I am extremely excited for you. All of your hard work has paid off! :)

    Love, Dina

    ReplyDelete
  16. You weren't joking about all that good news! Congrats on all the awesome goodness and here's to hoping it keeps coming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. *Takes a big breath*

    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ...AHHHHHHHH!!!!

    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

    *Happy dance*
    *Happy dance*
    *Happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jumping and squealing and- AHHHH! This is so freaking awesome! YAY! *jumpyjumpyBOUNCE* Congrats, Steph. I'm so happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That is such awesome news! You're being showered with lots of good karma. :o) I love Maureen Johnson. She is so witty.

    I do have to point out one thing though: the picture you posted for Germany is actually Salzburg, Austria.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you really DID have an amazing week! Go you!!! Nice blurbs - the last one is delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beth — Goodness. The worst part? I've BEEN to Salzburg! Thanks for pointing it out. Problem fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Stephanie, this is FANTASTIC stuff! German rights, truly ADORABLE blurbs - you weren't kidding on THAT point!

    Congratulations times a thousand!!!

    (I read your blog, just rarely post comments lately with tons of craziness going on in my life and book launch in 39 freakin' days!)

    Can. Not. Wait. To. Read. Your. Book!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Germany! MAUREEN JOHNSON! LAUREN MYRACLE!
    I cannot wait to read your book. I already know I'm going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations. That is awesome news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Germans have wunderbar taste!

    (Heh. They're my only foreign sale for FB.)

    Yays galore!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aww, congrats on Germany!! :) Hehe I love that country, amazing food and beautiful environment!

    Hurray on your blurbs as well. :D That was really sweet of both of those authors to say about your books.

    Blurbs are great...they give you lots of confidence and also tell others that your book is accepted as a fantastic read by
    other credible sources.

    It sounds like your literary
    career is really heightening to new depths these days. Super congratulations, Steph! =) This is all really amazing and impressive!

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is all awesome news! I'd want to read your debut on Maureen Johnson's review alone. And Lauren Myracle's is icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just met Lauren--she really is sweet! Congratulations on your awesome and I hope it continues through the year :D... can't wait for you book!!! squee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, you're really just drowning in blessings, yeah?

    Those blurbs are awesome. Congrats! Can't wait Anna's out!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just read about this on Shannon's blog. Congratulations on all of these great happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on all the fabulousness! Those blurbs are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome! How totally exciting!! I can't wait to read your book--it sounds fabulous! (=

    ReplyDelete
  33. How incredibly amazing can one week get? I am super stoked for you! Now I want to read Anna....oh wait, I did anyway. : )

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haha, I love the "yay me" label. Congrats on the good news gobs! So excited to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Holy Moly! Any one of those pieces of news would be swoon worthy, but all of them together? I'd have to go to bed until I had enough strength to absorb all of that. Crazy fantastic amazing. All is richly deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG! How are you standing all this good news?!?!?!
    Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thats SO awesome, Stephanie!
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  38. So happy for you! I'm sure there are many more wonderful blurbs in your future : ) Can't wait to hear your friend's exciting news, too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. when can we mere mortals read your ARC? (and of course we've already PRE-ORDERED!)

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG all of that is awesome- yay for Maureen and Lauren (they're two of my fave authors too!) blurbing! Yay for film representation! Yay for ARCs (I would like one)! Yay for foreign sale!

    Congrats to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.