Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



4.08.2010

Lazy Friday in Coney Island



I'm tired of saying, "I'm busy," but . . . I'm busy! I returned from New York on Tuesday evening, and I have an insane week of editing Anna ahead of me.

[Yes! Still editing! And there will be MORE edits after this one. For those of you not in the writing business, a LOT of work goes into one book. Way more than you can imagine. And I'd bet you have a pretty good imagination.]

I want to talk about my trip — especially my visit to Penguin! — in further detail, so I thought I'd just share a few more pictures from Coney Island for now. (OF COURSE the puking mannequin was found on Coney Island.)

While I was away, I stayed with my friends Manning and Marjorie in Brooklyn. If you've been reading this blog for a while, you might recognize their names from my January trip to Paris. They recently moved from France to New York — Manning is American, Marjorie is French — and I was happy to see them again so quickly!

In an ideal world, they would keep moving, and I could plan all of my vacations around them. Ha!

Anyway . . . the three of us headed out last Friday for an afternoon in the sun. Coney Island turned out to be my kind of place — strange, charming, and a little bit sketchy. I'm sorry there are no pictures of me! I know. You are DYING to see pictures of me. (Snort.) I honestly forgot to take any.


Perhaps my favorite shot of the day.


These cheapo Smurfs are negatives of themselves!


LOLA! I am rather fond of the name.


I heard they're tearing this down. So sad.*


That patty looks more like a brown watermelon. MAYBE a taco.


I kept forgetting there was, like, a beach there. A pretty one!


Should I warn Mal about the blue gloves?


Love this creepy dude.


This creepy dude was okay, too.


The haunted house is called the GHOST HOLE, you guys.


MWAHAHAHA!


The best part about that one is that while we were taking pictures, the building started telling us to bump our asses off. I kinda wish I could buy the recording as a ringtone.

And I love this silly picture. We were riding the subway home, feeling tired and happy, and the expression on Marjorie's face just makes me smile. So cute!




More soon! I hope you all are having a wonderful April!


*This morning, I received this tweet: TheCyclone @naturallysteph Lovely post about Coney! fyi Parachute Jump stays, it's a NYC landmark along with Cyclone, Wonder Wheel, Childs Bldg :-)

So . . . it won't be torn down?? Even though that was, um, the roller coaster talking to me? Not sure how official the information was, but I'm happy to hear it!

14 comments:

  1. Steph! Welcome home! I lurrrv these pics! Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

    2) I too am editing my novel-to-be, while writing another. Natalie says it can be done. So I am making an attempt, haha.

    3) If you'll excuse me, I must go bump my ass off at the gym. :-P

    WORD VERIFICATION: "races." ...Really? An actual word? I didn't think that was supposed to happen on Word Ver. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha those pics are awesome! G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That Bee totally looks like the bee from Venture Brothers, in their pseudo Disneyland place

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun. I love amusement parks type stuff. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to go to Coney Island! It looks like such a weird, cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pics. I'm glad to see you got to have some fun before you go back to editing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You trusted a talking roller coaster?

    The beef patty looked like an upside down chocolate to me.

    Thanks for sharing your pictures. I've never been to Coney Island, but it looks like a lot of fun. I'm taking the kiddos to a fair this afternoon, so we'll be doing time at the carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a fun trip and are back home safe & sound (and back to work! :) And yes "Two by two, hands of blue" YIKES! Warn Mal right away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these photos are great! Also, I want to say that I enjoy your blog very much! Great sense of humor! Oh, and white smurfs are creepy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome photos, Steph! :) I'm glad you are having fun there. Oh, and about your edits, I definitely know what you mean. After I won NaNoWriMo last year, I went back and edited before publishing it and it took FOREVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was like, weird. But cool, in a weird way.

    I feel all strange and out of sorts....guess it's time to bump my a** off.

    Tell Marjorie that her leopard coat is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a slideshow school? I never knew... Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pictures are so fun! I want to hear about Penguin visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephanie I wish I could put into words how happy your conversations with your boyfriends make me. And how reading them gets me so excited to read a book you wrote. After years of waiting for books I am good at it. But everytime I read a post you do, I want create a time machine and go straight to December.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.