Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



5.06.2009

In Which Steph Faints & Mind-Reading Space Monkeys Type This For Her

Yesterday was awesome.

Because . . .

MEG CABOT LINKED MY BLOG!!!

That's right. THE QUEEN. HAS READ. MY BLOG. I am a very happy Stephanie. It wasn't by name or anything, but STILL. She mentioned me on this post, here:


"Here’s a completely cute Guide to Meg Cabot books (in case you know someone who doesn’t know where to start! I know there are a lot of books) that I discovered through one of the over 5,000 people I follow on Twitter! She’s so cute (although all the people I follow on Twitter are)!"


That's me! My blog! Me!

Happy fangirl sigh. My husband got a good laugh from this, because when I found out I'd been linked, I was sitting next to a pile of her books that I'd just finished re-reading. Seriously. Five of her novels were stacked beside me.




Meg and I also share these same pink sock monkey pajamas. Not that it means something. Or has anything to do with what I'm talking about. I'm just saying. She's cool.

Anyway!

I'm also excited because Jenny Han's new book, The Summer I Turned Pretty, was just released. I loved her first novel, Shug, which -- no surprise -- I picked up because Meg had blurbed it. Jenny's newest is the first in a YA trilogy. Here's the description from her website:


"Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along."


Boys and crushes and summer! It sounds PERFECT. And Shug, which was middle grade, was so sweet and romantic and sad, that I know this one will be just as lovely.




Jenny Han is also way: (A) adorable and (B) nice. I emailed her a few years ago (after reading Shug, to tell her how much I enjoyed it), and she wrote me back the sweetest, kindest email. I love nice people. Don't you?

So.

I've decided to reward myself. If I make this week's writing goals, I'm allowed to go to the bookstore and buy both The Summer I Turned Pretty and Meg Cabot's Being Nikki. Which was also just released, which is the sequel to the super-fab Airhead.

Yes, I bribe myself. Frequently. Don't you?

Of course, I still have four shameful novels left, but fitting in a few kissing books shouldn't be a problem. Kissing books are NEVER a problem. I always have time for a good love story!

I always have time for a good movie, too. Which is why I really really really want to go see Tokyo!, Adventureland, Star Trek, and Wolverine. (But that last one only if Jimbo -- my Unofficial Comic Book Movie Guinea Pig -- gives it thumbs up. Otherwise I'll wait and Netflix it.)


Tokyo! (Love the exclamation point.)


It's just . . . er . . . fitting in my actual novel-writing amidst all of this reading and watching. That's the tricky bit. I've been avoiding Second Novel a lot lately, as well as a discussion here about said avoidance of Second Novel. That's two avoidances in one! Which I'm not even going to correct today! Well. I won't talk about it here, but I am going to write.

Because I really want to buy those novels, you guys.

I also have an Interesting Story about a mysterious basket of flowers found on my front door. But that will have to wait for another day. Instead, I'm signing off this post by saying:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NAYNA!

10 comments:

  1. OMG I own those pink monkey pajamas too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy -- YES! We're totally soul sisters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you're pretty much famous. And now you have a huge opening to ask her to blurb your book! I know that's going to happen already. It's destiny.

    You get writing—I want you to get those books too! They sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's so exciting! I'm pretty sure if she said those things about me I would jump off of something out of sheer excitement and endorphins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did yo find out she linked you - cuz you read her blog :) love her and how cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so exciting!! I am one of those who needed your Meg Cabot primer! And I totally bribe myself all the time. It usually involves pastries and chocolate. It so needs to involve kissing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg Cabot is so cool to link you. She knows how hot you're going to be and so she's getting in good with you early. Heehee. I so bribe myself with books too. I also punish myself with no books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! See? You're officially the coolest.

    And Nayna had a wonderful birthday, thanks! She was happy when I told her you said that ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. If they’re anything like Tolstoy’s or Nabokov’s books, I would like to read them too!
    That is perhaps too much to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! I have read one of Meg's books. My daughter brought home Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls. We both liked it.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.