Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



4.06.2009

Recommended Reads: How to Talk to a Widower + Girlbomb

It's been awhile since I've talked about Books for Adults. I promise I read them too! Here are two I've recently enjoyed:




How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper

Everyone -- both male and female -- I've recommend this to, liked it so much that they ended up reading all of his other books as well. It's just solidly good.

It's the story of Doug Parker, a young widower who isn't ready to let go of his grief. He drinks, he mopes, he seethes -- he should be COMPLETELY unlikeable. And yet. He's not. Doug's story is hilarious and bittersweet, and packed with the kind of fascinatingly strange-but-real supporting characters (a pregnant, potty-mouthed twin sister, a sullen, strangely-tattooed stepson) that any other novelist would be lucky to have one of.

The writing is smart. The subject is dark. The comedic timing is perfect.


Read this if you like: Intelligent, male-oriented humor. Basically, the guy equivalent of chicklit. (Which I have heard referred to as both "dudelit" and "dicklit" -- I'm sure you can guess which one I find more amusing.)

If you like this, read:
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers





Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir by Janice Erlbaum

Ooo, I love nonfiction that reads like a novel, don't you? This memoir was impossible to put down.

Erlbaum left home at fifteen after her mother reunited with an abusive stepfather. She moved from a shelter to a group home, and struggled to find a balance between her school life and her new home life. And she fell into drinking and drugs and sex with boys who didn't care about her.

Sounds depressing, right?

But the thing is, unlike most addiction memoirs, I didn't find this book uncomfortable or -- even worse -- unlikable at all. I genuinely cared about Erlbaum. I loved her and rooted for her, and when it was all over, I looked her up online because I HAD to know what happened to her!

(She's fine. Doing quite well, actually.)


Read this if you like: Gritty, disturbing, page-turning memoirs.

If you like this, read:
Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody and Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

4 comments:

  1. COOL! I love having recs for adult books! and your recs are the best I've read! I'm gonna get the widower book. can't wait!

    P.S. I am linking to you in my next post. It'll be next week prob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those recs sound really interesting. I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks. Hope you're having fun with Kiersten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie -- Wow, thanks!! And I look forward to your next post ;)

    Lotus -- For the record, Kiersten is as funny and sweet and amazing in person as she is online!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, thank you so much for reading and recommending the book! AND for loving me and rooting for me and looking me up to see if I was okay! After reading more of your blog, I now love you too, and am thrilled by the news of your upcoming publication! Hope we'll get to meet in person sometime...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.