Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



2.04.2009

How did you all know? What gave me away?


For the last few weeks, I keep getting sent the link to this new book. (Hi, Tammy!) And I'm not sure why. I mean, it's not like I have an obsession with Pride and Prejudice or anything. And it's not like I ever talk about zombies.

Name ONE TIME I've talked about zombies!

Okay. There was that one time. And maybe a few others.

Which is (honestly) perplexing, because when it comes to paranormal creatures, I am totally a werewolf girl. Remus Lupin, An American Werewolf in London, Kelley Armstrong's Bitten, etc etc etc.

Werewolves. Not Zombies.

And it's not as if the mere mention of Jane Austen's masterpiece makes me immediately do a Google Image search for Matthew Macfadyen. (Yeah. I'm Team Matthew. Team Colin is cool, but it's kinda crowded anyway.) And I've certainly never wasted an entire post with pictures of him.

I am totally above that, you guys.

But, for some reason, people keep thinking I'll be interested in this fancy new book! Here's the description, from the publisher's website:

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies features the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy."


Um, hello. I'd be "distracted" too. Have you SEEN Mr. Darcy?


I never pass an opportunity to post The Hero Walk.


Greatest. Scene. EVER. Ever ever EVER!

Squeeeeeeeeeaaalllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!

[Please pardon me while I go cool down. Just going to stick my feet in the snow for a second. Maybe put an icicle somewhere inappropriate. Be right back.]

Okay.

So maybe I am interested in this book. MAYBE. But did you hear??? PRIDE AND PREJUDICE! And ZOMBIES! TOGETHER AT LAST!!!!!!! The only thing that could POSSIBLY make this better would be the addition of lots and lots and lots of glorious smooching. I would think killing zombies would make Lizzy and Darcy hot.

But maybe that's just me.

In other vaguely-related news, Jarrod just found out about a place in Portland called Voodoo Doughnut that not only sells vegan doughnuts, naughty-shaped doughnuts, and doughnut voodoo dolls (raspberry filling for blood!) but it also has a wedding chapel! IN THE DOUGHNUT SHOP!

The best part is, when he told me, we were both immediately like, "We are so renewing our vows there."

And we were serious.

And there is a chance we'll be in Portland this spring.



Appropriately ring-shaped.

10 comments:

  1. When I first saw this, I thought it was a joke. I still worry it might be, but I really hope it's not. Because there really is only one thing missing from the big P&P—zombies. Halla.

    I'm so team Matthew, btw. I'm thinking we need the script from the BBC version, the cast from the new one, and we got some serious awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, we really are soulmates. That version of Pride and Prejudice is like my comfort movie. The scenery. The music. Mr. Darcy.

    Oh yeah.

    As for the rest of this--WOW. Just, wow. I'm glad there are people in the world who not only think, hey, let's add zombies to Pride and Prejudice, but people who are willing to publish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, baby. THE HERO WALK. Perfectly romantic. Perfectly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! You must renew your vows at Voodoo!!! That's an extra incentive for you guys to get out here :-)

    I'm also loving the cover of the new P&P -- and I'm intrigued about the show that's been on in UK last year: Lost in Austen; have you heard of it? A present-day English girl switches places with Elizabeth Bennett somehow? (I think there's a portal in her bathroom, and Eliza tricks her.) According to my *source* overseas, all the storylines are thrown into upheavel: Lydia's not as bad as she seems; and Wickham isn't bad at all! He's been maligned by Georgiana, who totally seduced him!!! I must see this when it makes it to the US.

    (Oh, and Voodoo is most famous for their maple-bacon bars. A full breakfast in a donut!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man I am so finding this book. I think my husband would be thrilled since he's seen every P&P movie adaptation EVER and constantly bemoans the lack of extraterrestrials and/or things that blow up.

    I've moved over to Team Matthew, too (LOVED THE PIC!) I was all about Colin but, well, he's old enough to be my dad which is kinda creepy. But I could watch eithe rP&P version over and over. Definitely my comfort movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maple bacon doughnut? I think Laini just blew my mind. You absolutely must renew your vows there and take lots of delicious pictures!
    To be entirely honest, I'm a Matthew-fan as well. I didn't know there were more of us out there because everyone is so Pro-Colin! I mean, there IS a lot to be said for the lake scene. My dream is that someday they'll make a version with Jennifer Ehle, Matthew Macfayden, AND zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that book the most enticing thing you've heard of in, well, at least the last few minutes?? I am SO going to read it. When I last looked it up, it didn't have a cover yet, so I'm glad you posted the pic.

    Donuts. Yum.

    We should have a meeting of The Jazziest* Writers on the Eastern Seaboard. Seriously.

    *Ok, so I'm not exactly Jazzy. I had to drop out of Jazz class because I was too "stiff." I'm more of a tap girl, but it doesn't sound right to say the "tappiest writers," now, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thought was, "Did Crispin Glover write a new book?"

    I want a bloody donut now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. Someone sent P&P/Zombies to me and I thought of you straight off the bat. That's what happens when you're famous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every couple of weeks my friend and I will make a Voodoo pilgrimage to laugh ourselves sick over phallic doughnuts. We even bought a box and left them in one of our office breakrooms for a giggle.

    I suggest you time your visit to Portland for one of our Oregon Regency Society events (orregency.org). You can dress up in a Regency gown, dance and talk zombie with the best of us. I'm buying that book!

    And I saw bits of Lost in Austen to the person who referenced it above. It is wonderfully cheesey, and like Clueless and Bridget Jones' Diary, I am forced to see it/read it because it is related to my dear girl Jane.

    Your blue hair is darling. I loved Coraline, (though I didn't see it in 3D), and I'm glad you got the action figure. It looks like a mini-me of you. Adore your blog.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.