12.31.2008

Looking Forward to a Happy New Year

Let's feed my list addiction. Here's what I'm excited about in 2009:


BOOKS!




Forever Princess, the tenth and final book in Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series, will be released this Tuesday, in addition to a special bonus novel, Ransom My Heart.

EEK!!!

I'm a HUGE Meg Cabot fan. HUUUUUGE. Seven years ago, I discovered The Princess Diaries, and it's been all young adult for me ever since. Basically, Meg is the reason why I read what I read, and I write what I write.

And as you know, I'm pretty much all about the reading and the writing. It's kind of what I do.

The series has had its ups and downs, but the last two entries have been her strongest, and the newest promises to be a stellar ending. How can it not be at FOUR HUNDRED pages? That's nearly twice as long as the others! My mind spins at all the wondrous Michael Moscovitz goodness headed my way.

Because OF COURSE Mia is going to end up with Michael.

OF COURSE.

Ransom My Heart is a romance novel (written by Mia, during her senior year) being released the same day. It was printed on recycled paper and all of the proceeds go to -- where else?! -- Mia's favorite charity, Greenpeace.


TELEVISION!


JD + Turk = Guy Love


HIP HIP HUZZAH! Thank you ABC for saving my favorite television show! How often does that happen? Um, practically never. But ABC acknowledged the perfection that is Chocolate Bear and Vanilla Bear (and their lovable stuffed dog, Rowdy). Not to mention Dr. Cox's rants, Eliot's freak-outs, Ted's barber shop quartet, Dr. Kelso's addiction to muffins, Janitor's aversion to pennies, and the most rocking soundtrack on television.

Fingers crossed the new network treats Scrubs with the respect it deserves. It starts next Tuesday the sixth. Which is the same day Meg Cabot's books come out.

Clearly there is something magical about January 6th.

I suggest you buy a lottery ticket.


MOVIES!


I can't wait for two films, both of which were supposed to have been released THIS year. Sucky studios.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (obviously)




And Rudo y Cursi.




Rudo y Cursi was directed by Carlos Cuarón, brother of Alfonso (loooove Alfonso), and co-writer of Alfonso's film Y tu mamá también (one of my top ten favorite movies EVER). Which starred Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna, who are also the stars of Rudo y Cursi.

See why I'm excited? This movie will be GOLDEN. Upon exiting the theater, I will probably be crying rainbow tears of joy and dancing the Roger Rabbit.

Because it's either the Roger Rabbit, the Running Man, or the Davy Jones. I don't know any others, sorry.


PEOPLE!

And finally . . . I'm thrilled about the arrival of my first niece or nephew.


Our first picture.


I will totally be the cool aunt who rents them R-rated movies, drives them to get their first tattoo, and rots their teeth with extra sugar-infused bubblegum.

The mystery baby (BOY OR GIRL? Only the ultrasound technician knows!) is due mid-January, and currently goes by the name Jack Jack.


(Jack Jack)


Since my sister's uterus was exposed to thermonuclear radiation during a Martian mission gone awry, we are expecting Great Things from Jack Jack, such as the ability to fly, voluntary invisibility, or -- at the very least -- earlobes large enough to break a Guinness world record.


What are you looking forward to this year?


Coming soon:

Two more lists! HA! My best books and best films of 2008 (see 2007's book list here and 2006's here). The book list will be hard -- I read many incredible novels, how to choose?? -- as will the film list, but for totally different reasons.

Cinema kind of sucked this year.

Don't get me wrong. I saw plenty of GOOD movies, just not many GREAT ones. Whereas last year, I couldn't even narrow my list to ten. And I had to blog it in three parts! (One, two, three.)

And though the order has changed (Once and Sweeney Todd would be higher up, and Across the Universe would be first), I stand by them all. In fact, I like them so much I own ten of the thirteen! How many films would I buy from this year? Answer: Not many.

So stay tuned, put on your party hat, and drive safely. See you in 2009.

10 comments:

  1. Saw your list on Carrie's blog. I agree, lots to look forward to in 2009.

    I'm excited to hear more about Jack Jack ...just days away!!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart ACROSS THE UNIVERSE. I've been listening to the sountrack non-stop since I got it in my Christmas stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara's belly!! Jen sent me to you and I was so excited I'm commenting before I read everything. Which I am very excited to do. (It's me, Courtney, Kara's prom date).
    Yay for you and for Kara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEE! I saw FOREVER PRINCESS in the bookstore today! (and I read the end, which was PERFECT)

    Also, I loved Sweeney Todd and Across the Universe! Jim Sturgess=<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, love the belly! You are going to be the best Aunt ever! Happy New Year, btw. I am giving some thought as to what I'm looking forward to and what I resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to HP and the HBP. Holy cow! What happened? I was soooo looking forward to that in Nov. and then Dec. and then Jan. and Ugh! Summer? What the heck!?!

    I'm also looking forward to tons of new books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela -- Thanks for stopping by :) Happy New Year!

    Min -- Ohmystars, I KNOW! I looove the soundtrack. "Girl" give me the shivers.

    Courtney -- NO WAY! Hi! So, so cool to see you here. I hope all is well? Don't you have a little one too? Or am I making that up? I tend to make things up.

    Lexi -- Wait. WHAT??? You SAW the book ALREADY????????? I'm having a heart attack. Going to the bookstore. Now.

    Deb -- Happy New Year, my love! It's going to be an AMAZING year for you. I can feel it, I honestly can.

    lotusgirl -- I know! It broke my heart when they bumped it back to next summer. Why would they do that to us?! We HP fans are Nice People, right???

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay, I love lists!
    now I have heaps of books and movies that I need to look into. I think I agreed with nearly everything you wrote -- yay for Meg Cabot, LOVED Eat, Pray, Love, and of course Harry Potter. But I might be the only person I know who did not enjoy Timetraveller's Wife.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to the 2008 book list! I might do one of my own too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Meg Cabot to death. Seriously, I'd give up my life for her. Michael is a very dreamy book character--can't wait to see how it plays out!
    And Scrubs! Woohoo! I'm not sure how I feel about the network change, but I'm just glad it's still on the air.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep! We so are! It's a cryin' shame!

    ReplyDelete