Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



10.28.2008

Snow! In October!



According to The Old Farmer's Almanac, we're supposed to receive a lot of snow this year. Well. This certainly seems an auspicious start.

Snow! Before Halloween! In North Carolina!

How peculiar.

(Please excuse the poor quality photographs. I popped outside this morning whilst still in my pink striped pajamas, so I didn't want to dawdle...)






And I had just hung my pretty autumn wreath!




I picked it up at the Asheville City Market (LOVE the City Market) last Saturday. My fab friend Sumner and her father run Spotted Dog Farm, and they grow all kinds of gorgeous flowers and berries. Sumner is selling these wreaths right now, along with oodles of cool crafts like knitted creatures in striped beanies and skull shirts, and messenger bags made from recycled grain bags and felted sweaters. Sumner is so talented! And she just opened an etsy shop here.

And because I've meant to post this picture for MONTHS, I suppose now is as good a time as any. Despite the red and gold leaves outside.

And the snow.

This was a bouquet I picked up at Sumner's stall this August. Isn't it lovely?




And in case you are wondering why I keep such beautiful flowers in my laundry room, ask Mr. Tumnus. Anywhere else in the house, and these would be DESTROYED.


Ev-il Kitteh, why do I love you?


Happy first snow everyone! Put on your woolen mittens and your favorite sweater (the one with the holes in the elbows), sip your hot chocolate (with tiny marshmallows) and stay warm.

14 comments:

  1. SOOO jealous. I want snow! I want snow! Last year we didn't have any good snow; hopefully this year. Sigh. I love to get snowed in. Hm. Maybe that is my prefered state of being: snowed in. In the writing cabin. With pie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Impressive. We did get a big April snowstorm here last year though.

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Farmer's Almanac. Did you read the article on mini-cows? I want one! A gallon-a-day kind of cow is just my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I'm so jealous too. I LOVE snow. and how likely am I to see any down here in Florida? I think snowed-in w/pie and books and sleepy warm kitties is my ideal state as well. Oh, btw, after your previous post I am seriously considering doing NaNo this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laini -- Ohhhh the Remote Writing Cabin. Wistful sigh.

    Elise -- MINI-COWS??? Must go locate almanac...

    lilie -- Yes yes yes! You should definitely NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the vase you put your beautiful flowers in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so pretty. All of it! The snow on the red leaves, your autumn wreath, and the too cute bouquet (I love sunflowers).

    We should all be so lucky to have flowers in the laundry room...maybe more would get done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to look at snow, true. So your pictures are beautiful. But I do not like to walk in it. I do not like to shovel it. I do not like it, Sam I Am.

    Whoops. Got confused. But seriously, can we send all of our snow to you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sumner (Spotted Dog Farm)6:25 PM GMT-5

    From this moment forward consider yourself my Vice President of Marketing. Clark previously held the position, but he's never gotten us any internet press so he's out! (And thanks for the kind words - it's lovely to see someone enjoying our work.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've had unseasonably warm weather the past few days. I am cherishing it because in a couple weeks Utah will look like those pictures plus a couple extra feet. And then I seriously regret living in the Rockies and consider relocating to Cabo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flowers are beautiful, but I can see why you love the kitty. There aren't many kitties that can pull off a goatee.

    And scratch the Boo recommendation. I just finished Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. If you haven't read it, it's a must. Of course, if you haven't read Inkheart and Inkspell, you might want to wait until after NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But that is just part of why they are ev-il kittehs....

    ...they entrance you and make you love them, with spells of ev-ilness. How else do they get away with clawing the wall-trim and furniture without having their furry little necks wrung?

    It's spells, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS, I want snow too, consarnit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "consarnit" -- cute!!

    myrna -- I still haven't read any Cornelia Funke! What's wrong with me??? I'll have to make up for it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sumner -- WOO HOO!! I've never been a VP of anything before. (Except VP of Awesome. Naturally.)

    Gretchen -- I am totally visiting you in Cabo. Let me know when you move.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.