Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



9.04.2008

In Which I Run Out of Excuses to Post Pictures of Hot British Guys, But TOTALLY DO IT ANYWAY

Jim Sturgess, Hot British Guy


Since personally I am not very exciting right now, due to:

A) Three to four hours of sleep per night (for the last two and a half weeks) making my brain fuzz fuzz fuzzzzzzy

and

B) my inability to discuss anything other than revisions (I may not be sleeping, but my coworkers nod off every time I open my mouth)

I thought I'd talk about interesting things going on in the rest of the YA literary world:


ITEM NUMBER ONE

Maureen Johnson has an amazing post about Bristol Palin, teen pregnancy, and abstinence-only education here. I cheered aloud at this bit:

"A lot of people say, 'ABSTINENCE! IT IS THE ONLY WAY! THE ONLY THING TO TEACH! All of this fornication is a horrible modern thing brought on by television and video games and BOOKS!' Har har har! GOOD ONE! I don’t know how these people missed hearing about all of human history . . . but this sex thing has been going on for a while now, and frankly, it’s probably going to continue. It’s the world’s oldest form of entertainment. We come pre-installed with all kinds of hormones and squishy bits."


LOVE her, right?


ITEM NUMBER TWO

As you've probably heard by now, Midnight Sun, Stephenie Meyer's take on Twilight from Edward's perspective, has been put on hold indefinitely due to an illegal posting of an early draft. Like most of her fans, I was upset by the news. But do I think she's overreacting?

Absolutely not.

I cannot begin to fathom the humiliation and anger I would feel if an early draft of ANYTHING I had written made it online. And I am a NOBODY. Meyer is a bestselling novelist with all kinds of unrealistic expectations heaped upon her, and I am so, so, so saddened that this has happened.


She is NOT smiling like this today.


"My first feeling was that there was no way to continue. Writing isn't like math; in math, two plus two always equals four no matter what your mood is like. With writing, the way you feel changes everything. If I tried to write Midnight Sun now, in my current frame of mind, James would probably win and all the Cullens would die, which wouldn't dovetail too well with the original story. In any case, I feel too sad about what has happened to continue working on Midnight Sun, and so it is on hold indefinitely."

She's made the incomplete ("messy and flawed and full of mistakes") draft available on her website to counter the urge to illegally download it (brave woman), but I hesitate to read it. Do I give in to temptation and let curiosity get the best of me? I loved the excerpt that she DID have posted, and I'm dying to hear more from Edward's point of view.


But.

"I'd rather my fans not read this version of Midnight Sun," she says. And who could blame her? The humiliation and anger, remember?

But then there's this HORRIBLE, NOT NICE part of me that's curious just to see another author's early draft. To prove to myself that I am not the only one who writes really, really terrible first drafts! Isn't that awful? That's, like, the worst reason ever to read it.

So.

I am going to respect her wishes. And for now -- as long as I can hold out -- my decision is to stay away from it.

Which sucks.


ITEM NUMBER THREE





In HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY news, Juliet Marillier's companion to Wildwood Dancing (one of my favorite-est books ever) comes out this Tuesday! The book is called Cybele's Secret, and it's already getting starred reviews.

If you're a fan of romantic fantasy like Shannon Hale and Sharon Shinn, Marillier is a must-read. I don't know how many times I have to mention Wildwood Dancing on this blog before you read it, BUT I WILL NEVER GIVE UP! NEV-AH!

MWAH HA HA HA!!!

If you like fairy tales and true love and really, really smart writing, PLEASE check her out. You will thank me.


(END OF ITEM DISCUSSION)


I am going now. Revisions await with Eskimo kisses and stabs in the back. But first, a mini-update! Because, seriously, I cannot stop talking about revisions. It's like:


FRIENDLY PERSON: "Hey, Steph! Great we're finally getting some rain, isn't it?"

ME: "Hey speaking of rain there's this scene in my book where it's raining and did you know I only got three hours of sleep last night and the revisions are going really well thanks for asking but I've come to the devastating conclusion that there's no way I can make my deadline but I'm just going to keep pushing through, you know? I mean I've never worked this hard on anything before EVER and I'm so exhausted and I'm so proud and hey. Hey! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?? I WAS JUST GOING TO TELL YOU HOW HARD WRITING A NOVEL IS!!!"


Five more days until my deadline. Unless I am granted the miracle of divine intervention, I am not going finish on time. But that's okay, because you know what?

I am TOTALLY rocking it.

Okay, I'm really going now. I hope this post makes sense, and I don't sound too idiotic. (Did I mention I am running on NO SLEEP?) Don't be surprised if you come back here later and discovered I've inserted bits about Noam Chomsky or string theory. I might have to beef it up a bit to save face.

Oh. Wait a second . . .

WHAT'S THAT???


!!!!!!!


Shame on you if you didn't see that coming.

7 comments:

  1. I was totally coming your way to make good on that pinky swear about holding each other to our revision deadlines. I was even going to do the spit-on-it thing, becuase it's just not so gross virtually, but way more commmital. But now what do I do since your deadline is in five days and you're not going to make it? I supose I could hold you to plugging through limited sleep (although I hope you do get a good night's sleep soon) but more important, keep rocking your revisions and feeling great about it. How can you feel bad about not making a deadline when you're doing that?
    With a pinky shake,
    Jolie

    ReplyDelete
  2. *clears throat*

    Hhaaaaack-ptooi!

    (Spitty pinky shake.)

    I like that! I'll hold you to your deadline (which is?) & you hold me to finishing this thing through. I THINK I can have it done with only an extra week/week and a half of limited sleep.

    GO JOLIE GO!!! RAH RAH RAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yeah, my lovely man keeps trying to tell me about his day and I end up saying, "um hmm, did I tell you that I totally cut the library scene and condensed that into a phone conversation . . . that way Jimmy can be all weird nervousy again, and . . . were you saying something?"

    I'm with you sistah . . . keep the eye candy coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is it British guys are always so much hotter then the ones I know? Hmm...this has baffled scientists for decades. Just annother reason to visit England!
    Stephanie Meyer has cancelled Midnight Sun! That's awful, hideous, mind-blowing, unthinkable! I was so looking forward to uncovering what goes on in the mind of Edward Cullen. Strangely enough, last night I had a dream about Midnight Sun. I was reading it at Wal-Mart and it was describing Bella pulling Rosalie out of a swimming pool.
    ...
    I forget...does that happen in Twilight? I'll have to review.
    I really can't comprehend Meyer's humiliation. Perhaps of I have OCD or something, but my first drafts often are made perfect becausde I can't handle leaving one sentence plain. It haunts me forever if I do such a thing.I'm just not in that proffesional writing-ness yet, but perhaps one day I'll get to yours and the other Steph's level.
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh yeah, so Jim is going to be at the premiere of Fifty Dead Men Walking here at TIFF next week. I'm thinking I must go down and hang out/drool like a groupie outside of RTH. Not for me or anything, for YOU! I will be on the lookout for him in TO... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb --

    Okay. Let me get this straight. Last year you saw Clive FREAKING Owen, and this year, you might see JIM STURGESS?? CAN I DIE OF JEALOUSY NOW???

    I am dying to go to TIFF. One of these years I am SO going and crashing on your couch and hyperventilating at the sight of such beautiful people and fantastic cinema.

    Sob. Jim Sturgess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's TIFF? Something Something Film Festival, I'm guessing. Ooh! Toronto International? Timbuktu?

    About Midnight Sun, that super-sucks. I wonder who's the wanker. I don't know if I'd read it in any case -- I recently read P&P from Darcy's p.o.v. and I wasn't too keen. But then, if it had been written by Jane, of course, it would be a different story.

    And as for rocking the revisions: YES YOU ARE. Hurry up, man! 17 chapters is not enough? You do NOT need that much sleep!

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.