Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



8.10.2008

In Which I Visit Chicago and Enjoy Many Giant-Sized Things



We're back from Chicago! I know, I know. Two vacations in two weeks. What were we thinking? The timing was weird, but couldn't be helped. Jarrod was invited to play a show at a Big Mysterious Conference, and we took this as an excuse to explore the Windy City. Hurrah!

I'll talk more about his show in a few days. I have some VERY exciting news, but it'll take some time for me to decide how to share it. (You'll see.)

Anywho.

Chicago rocks! The first day, Jarrod had rehearsal so I popped on my iPod, and Rufus Wainwright and I took a tour of our surroundings. I walked for five hours around Grant Park and Michigan Avenue, as this is my favorite thing to do when visiting a new place. Explore by foot.


Rufus makes excellent company.


Right away, I noticed something peculiar.
Twilight shirts. LOTS and LOTS of Twilight shirts. At first, I thought there had been a release party. Belated, but you never know. Then I spotted an official Stephenie Meyer tour t-shirt. Huh??? I stopped the girl wearing the shirt, and she said Meyer was in town and had just signed books for over 1500 people.

EXCUSE ME? HOW WAS I NOT NOTIFIED ABOUT THIS?!

Sigh. Stephenie Meyer was right there, and I didn't even know it! Oh well. At least I got to enjoy her fans.


My shirt would read: "Dear Edward Cullen, I am not afraid of marriage. Bite me."


It wasn't until I got home that I found out not only did I miss Meyer, but I also missed JOHN freaking GREEN!
My hero! He was only a block from my hotel, and once again, I had no clue. Gaaaaahhh.

He read from Paper Towns, and then his brother Hank played music in the park.

The park that was A BLOCK FROM MY HOTEL.

Sob sob sob! Normally, I'm pretty sharp about these things, so it kills me that I missed both of them.

Well. Now that you know what I didn't see, how about what I did?




These boys were chanting "Me-xi-co! Me-xi-co! Me-xi-co!" and dancing around in the fountains of Millennium Park. I watched them for about fifteen minutes, reveling in their joy. Totally awesome.




I loooove portraiture! The Art Institute is free on Thursday and Friday nights, so we were pleased for the opportunity to check it out. These two guys were my highlights, a haughty man painted by Ingres (one of my favorite artists), and the fabulously grotesque The Picture of Dorian Gray by Ivan Albright (created for the 1945 film).

We also stuffed our gullets with yummy food. Naturally, Chicago-style hot dogs were first on our list (Hi, Suzanna!), but we also had a ridiculously delicious veggie deep dish pizza from Pizano's and an incredible, inventive Chinese dinner from Opera (example: dessert was sweet corn - yes, corn - ice cream with mango and coconut sorbets, served atop black rice pudding).


Mmm. So much stuff you can hardly taste the creepy meat.


The best part of the trip was The Field Museum. I've wanted to go ever since I watched The Ghost and the Darkness twelve years ago and learned about the Man-Eating Lions of Tsavo. If you've never heard of them, t
hey were a pair of maneless lions who ate nearly 140 railroad workers in the late 1800s.

Considering my greatest fear is getting eaten alive by a wild animal, this is sort of a strange obsession, even for me.

Then again, lions rank only #5 on my list.


LIST OF ANIMALS STEPHANIE DOES NOT WANT TO BE EATEN ALIVE BY:

(1) Sharks
(2) Alligators & Crocodiles
(3) Tigers
(4) Grizzly Bears
(5) Lions


It was thrilling to see them in person. They were honest-to-goodness on my "Things To Do Before I Die" list. (I like lists.)


You can't imagine how blissfully happy I am.


And now, as promised, GIANT THINGS!


Sue, also at The Field Museum. The world's largest and most complete T-Rex skeleton. A GIANT! So cool to finally see her in person.




Check out this GIANT salamander. Ewww! For an idea on how huge this thing is, check out the teeny, regular-sized salamander in the upper right corner.



My new favorite prehistoric animal -- the GIANT ground sloth! I had no idea these things existed. I am so, so happy they did.



At the Museum of Science and Industry, we saw the world's most GIGANTIC pinball machine. Neat-o!



And on the drive there, we stopped by a Big Boy at one in the morning so I could take a picture of the GIANT, tacky statue. (Because no vacation is complete without a tacky statue.) This one's for you, Jamey.

6 comments:

  1. I am waiting eagerly for the VERY exciting news. Let it all out! We can handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely trip. I have travel envy. Alas . . . three little girls can only handle so much museum time.

    What's the news? Huh? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! It kills me that last year we went to "Chicago" and spent the whole *2 days* at the conference near the airport, all because I was too spastic to plan extra time for us there. I really wanted to go to the Field Museum too, so I'm jealous! Last fall they were having a Darwin exhibit I really wanted to go to. Wah. Anyway, giant sloth: I know. So cool! In the Eva Ibbotson book "Journey to the River Sea" there's a subplot about a scientist hoping to find a live one (that book is kind of like her "Company of Swans" for middle grade version; cute); also, there's an *interesting* phenomenon of man-eating tigers in the Sundurbans -- the islands in the Bay of Bengal -- there was a good book by Amitav Ghosh about a biologist who goes there: The Hungry Tide. Yes, voracious man-eating predators are always exciting! I'd rather get eaten by a tiger or lion than a shark or crocodile. They're cuter.

    {Welcome home! Can't wait to hear the news -- wink wink!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. BIG BOY!!! Yay! They have one of those the Arizona Historical Society Museum that I volunteer at. I keep telling them that I'm going to steal it. Hee hee hee.

    So, I'm afraid of giant squid. They are huge. And icky. And mysterious.

    My parents were just in your neck of the woods visiting my evil grandma and her Bob at their summer house. They said Asheville is beautiful and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god. Giant sloth. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! No more giant sloth. Regular ones make my skin crawl, but giant ones with their horrible claws are worse. Is this payback for talking about the sharks?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were a lot of exciting things going on in Chicago, I see!

    *waits for news*

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.