Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



7.18.2008

Knight of Dark, Queen of Sugar

Jarrod & Anonymous Pal


I'll give you three guesses as to what movie we're seeing tonight.

Give up? SPACE CHIMPS! WOO HOO!!!

Oh, wait. I'm TOTALLY lying. We're going to see MAMMA MIA!


Jarrod: Like $&*# we are.

Me: I would never do that to you.


(Though I might watch it BY MYSELF someday when you are OUT OF TOWN, all SECRET-LIKE. And then I will parade through the house singing "Dancing Queen" in my feather boa and embarrass the cat.)

Nooooo, it's The Dark Knight. Yaaaaaaay!

I can't wait to check out the Joker and especially Two-Face, whose Top Secret appearance has sort-of-been-leaked (but I've avoided, waiting for the surprise). And if I swung that way, Maggie Gyllenhaal would TOTALLY be my Movie Star Girlfriend, so I can't wait for her too.


Too cute.


In other news, I start novel revisions tomorrow. Huzzah! After my fabulous mini-film fest last week, I've been in agony this week, dying to read my book and see if it's as brilliant/horrible as I remember. It's funny, but the mom
ent I am NOT allowed to work on something is the exact moment I desperately want to.

Which means tomorrow I will be running from it again, high speed, coat-tails flapping out behind me.

I didn't get as much other work written as I wish I had, but I did start my Fairy Tale Project, and I did get rough drafts of my agent query letter and synopsis done. Phew!

I also read a certain someone's SUPER-AMAZING manuscript, and have been fighting fits of creative jealousy ever since! WOW! Mind-boggling and fantastic and clever and funny. People will be blown away when they get their mittens on it.

In the meantime, here's another great book that IS available now: Sarah Addison Allen's latest, The Sugar Queen. I really liked her last novel (her first commercial success), Garden Spells, but I freaking LOVED The Sugar Queen. If you aren't familiar with her work, she writes magic realism set in small, quirky towns in the mountains of North Carolina (she lives here in Asheville -- cool!).




In this story, the heroine wakes up on the first cold day of the year to find a grungy woman with running mascara and bleached hair sitting in her closet.

The woman refuses to leave.

From there, the tale unfurls into a delightful love story with sugar-snow kissed windows and magic flowers sown from tears and books that follow people around and a family who simply CANNOT break a promise.

Oh. And there's a really cute mailman.

Highly recommended!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! The Sugar Queen sounds delish. I am going to order it. And while I am over on Amazon, I think I cannot resist ordering Hellboy 2: Art of the Movie. AND -- get this!!! -- Spaced is finally available on DVD in the States! Do you know it? Simon Pegg as a comic book nerd/slacker? The best!

    I hope Batman is wonderful. We are going to see it next week. Can't WAIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon Pegg ROCKS. Shaun of the Dead is one of my favorite-est movies ever! (Jarrod went as Shaun last year for Halloween.) I haven't seen Spaced yet -- I have so much quality TV to catch up on!!

    I hope you like The Sugar Queen, and fingers crossed the Hellboy book has pictures of the FREAKING AWESOME Troll Market!! Soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved the Troll Market, too! Pan's Labyrinth was much harder to watch (ah, the emotional toll) so it was way more fun to see a kick ass story AND the awesome costumes/make-up.

    Next up - Batman.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.