Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



5.10.2008

Radiohead in Charlotte 5/9/08

Photos courtesy of Crystal Floyd. Thanks!


"Have fun at The Radio Heads."

That's what Jarrod's coworker said to him before he left work on Friday. Cute!

So My Favorite Band In The Whole Wide World came to Charlotte this weekend. I mean, I'm the kind of fan who, when Radiohead announced they were giving away their new album FOR FREE, happily shelled out $70 for the special Discbox instead (regular CD, bonus CD, artwork, & vinyl).

And I only have one sticker - a rare thing in Asheville - decorating the back of my car: the Radiohead bear.

So driving a couple hours to see them? No problem. You know I had to be there.

This was my second Radiohead show, and it was as fantastic as the first. (I hope there will be a third, a fourth, a fifth...) They outdid themselves with the stage setup this time - gorgeous colorful lighting and beautiful live video feed - all very moody and atomospheric, all very Radiohead.




And the sound. Was. Incredible.

I'm sorry to get all weird and New Age-y, but I literally felt the music enter my body. It reminded me of that wonderful Kurt Vonnegut quote: "The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music."




Oh, how I love thee, Thom Yorke.

As usual, the band was good to their fans. It was quite a setlist:

All I Need
There There
Airbag
15 Step
Nude
Sail to the Moon
Weird Fishes/ Arpeggi
Myxomatosis (Yay! I really wanted this one.)
Idioteque (This one too.)
Morning Bell
Videotape
Optimistic (What a great surprise. Wasn't expecting this.)
Where I End and You Begin
You and Whose Army?
Everything In Its Right Place
Bangers + Mash
Bodysnatchers (Ooo, pretty rainbow lights!)

FIRST ENCORE:
Go Slowly
Talk Show Host
Exit Music (For A Film)
Planet Telex
House of Cards

SECOND ENCORE:
Paranoid Android (Soooo good.)
Reckoner


That's TWENTY-FOUR SONGS! And it's not like their songs are short.

Okay, enough geeking out. I'll just leave you with one more tiny list.


Four cool things observed during the show:


- Lightning
- Thom Yorke playing drums (during "Bangers + Mash")
- A butterfly
- Tibetan flags on stage


*****

Speaking of Tibet: Have you read this article ("A Monk's Struggle" by Pico Iyer) about the Dalai Lama? Fascinating.

5 comments:

  1. What?!! No "Creep"?

    Nah, I'm kidding. Radiohead has too many good songs to have to play that single at every show. I do love singing it at karaoke, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly stated...I totally stole some of your pictures for my blog. It was so great to see you today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Min - Hee hee. I was lucky enough to hear "Creep" in Atlanta a few years ago! I was totally surprised they still play it.

    Leslie - It was great to see you, too! What a fabulous surprise. And the pictures are actually Crystal Floyd's (I found them on Flickr and asked to borrow them for my blog because, silly me, I forgot to bring my own camera!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jim will be so jealous! The "Radio Heads" are his absolutely favorite band and he's never seen them live. Next time they come to the Northwest, I think we will have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY CRAP I'M SO JEALOUS YOU SUCK YOU REALLY REALLY DO! TWICE? WHAT THE HECK THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!!! *pant pant pant -- ahem*

    Hello. That is so neat that you got to see Radiohead play. Good for you.

    Okay, I'll be serious now. WOW I can't wait to get the chance to see them. While I've seen some of my other faves over the years, Radiohead has always been so elusive. I think I'll DEFINITELY have to make it a priority to see them if they ever come anywhere near us because they truly are unparalleled in their creativity (imho). Did you catch them on Conan O'Brien recently? You can download it if you want (although, duh, you saw them LIVE so who cares, right?!) But really, seeing them perform live flawlessly like they do is amazing -- hope to get a chance to do that in person sometime soon!

    Hope you're doing GREAT and it was awesome meeting you a few weeks ago! :)

    Best,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.