Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



5.22.2008

Mmm, Strawberry Season!



The strawberry man is back.

Aw hells yeah.

In May and June, the strawberry man parks in front of a nearby gas station and sells the most amazing, freshly-picked-that-day fruit. The first time I tasted one, I had a total food-gasm. Juicy, tangy, sweet, light as air, warm as sunlight.

We got two buckets last year - one for freezing (smoothies!) and one for baking. This year, we're doubling it. I've already frozen the two pictured above, and I'm anxious for more.

I'm thinking: Strawberry pie. Strawberry jam. Strawberry shortcake.



No. Not her. What's up with the sweater tied around her jeans? Strawberries = summer. Aren't long sleeves more than enough? I mean, does she have a circulation problem? Should I be concerned?


Sadly, not her either. Although I never realized (until now) what a peculiar combination of Holly Hobbie and Raggedy Ann she was. And what's she hiding under that muffin-top hat? A herd of Oompa Loompas? Personally, I hope she's dreaded like an Irish Bob Marley.


To celebrate the season, I thought I'd share the recipe for the world's best strawberry pie, received from a coworker via copious amounts of begging.

(By the way, I'm still looking for the world's best strawberry rhubarb pie. Do you -- or your grandmother -- have a favorite recipe you'd care to share?)




Lynn the Librarian's Strawberry Pie

1 qt. strawberries
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup water
1/2 - 3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 9" baked pie crust (I use the single pie crust recipe from ye old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, but any HOMEMADE crust will do.)


Wash & stem berries.

Mix 3 cups of berries with powdered sugar and let stand one hour.

Cook remaining 1 cup berries with 1 cup water until soft. Rub through sieve; save liquid.

Mix granulated sugar & cornstarch with liquid from powdered sugar & strawberries. Add to sieved strawberry mix. Bring to boil & cook until clear and thick.

Arrange whole berries in pie shell. Pour hot glaze over & chill.

Eat & weep with joy.


*****


Oh, and it has been brought to my attention that I am missing a CRUCIAL BLUE-HAIRED CELEBRITY. Gwen Stefani!


Sorry, Gwen. Welcome to my menagerie.


I think I forgot about her because I prefer her platinum look. (Though the blue is still excellent, and the pink was also pretty great.) But what girl at my high school didn't want to be Gwen in the "Just A Girl" video? She was so wicked cool. She dated the cute bassist, had amazing abs, wrote kick-ass girl power lyrics, rocked some tall hair, and MADE HER OWN CLOTHES!

Gotta love a girl who can DIY. She really loved her Bedazzler.

Maybe I should get a Bedazzler.


"I'm in the lab all day/I Scrabble all night/I got a Bedazzler/So my outfit's tight."


Hmm. I wonder if Gwen -- or Adrock -- has a strawberry rhubarb pie recipe they'd like to share with us?

(OH MAN. WE SHOULD TOTALLY HAVE A PIE AND BEDAZZLER PARTY.)

6 comments:

  1. Wait, doesn't everyone own a Bedazzler?

    That Strawberry Pie looks AMAZING! I'm waiting for strawberries here (and not the foreign supermarket kind but the ones grown here in good old Ontario). I don't have a recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie but I do have an excellent recipe for Strawberry Tiramisu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to tell us when the strawberry guy is around so I can send Jeremy on a strawberry-gathering mission!

    Also, I think my stepmother's mother may have a strawberry-rhubarb pie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you the strawberries. We live down the block from a strawberry farm but we're still a month away from strawberry festival!

    My pie recipe is very similar, but I add a layer of cream cheese to the pie crust and then the glazed strawberries over that. 'Cause, you know, why not add some extra fat wherever you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cream cheese! Elise, you are an EVIL GENIUS!!

    Must. Make. New. PIE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whip the cream cheese first - maybe even with a little heavy cream to make it more workable. Scrumptious . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heavy cream?? Oh, you are killing me. Love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.