Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



11.28.2007



I don't do this very often, so please allow me one moment to tell you how much I rock. See the above screen shot? See that number? The one circled and surrounded by arrows?

Oh yeah. 50k.

I am officially a winner of the 2007 NaNoWriMo.

Can I repeat that?

I AM OFFICIALLY A WINNER!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! This is me, laughing like I'm in Arkham Asylum, because I TOTALLY DID IT. So HA to all of the naysayers who said I'd never finish! SUCK IT! Ha ha ha!!!

Oh, wait? What's that? Everyone I know was totally supportive of me? All of my friends? My coworkers? Even my family?

You mean, EVERYONE thought I could do it?

Hmm.

Wow. So, I guess instead of saying "suck it, sucking suckers," I should be saying "thank you very much."

So thank you to my wonderful husband, Jarrod, who cooked dinner every evening and did way more than his fair share of dishes this month. Who crawled inside a cold, lonely bed every night and literally pushed me up the stairs to my laptop when I was doing everything within my power to stay downstairs. Who is the best. Period.

Thank you to my sister who made me get off the phone with her the other night - because she wanted me to get back to work - who said to me, "I want you to be a winner."

Thank you to all of my friends, especially the ones who asked me how my novel was going every time they saw me. That meant so much to me.

And a final thank you to my newest friends. NaNoWriMo has the most supportive writing community that I've ever been a part of. You guys are amazing. Congratulations to all of you!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you.

Oh, and if you are wondering why my novel is all scrambly-pambly behind that word counter in the picture, it's for the NaNo robot word counter. I'd rather not show anyone what this draft actually looks like. It may be finished, but it's scary.

Speaking of, I'm off to go work on the next draft! See you all, um, let's say another year from now. 'Cause this baby's going to take a LOT of editing.


In the meantime, please enjoy the following writing/writer-related links:

Neil Gaiman (oh, how I love thee) helps a guy propose to his girlfriend.

Vote for the prettiest, bestest book cover of the year.

Check out the winners (Yay for winners!) to the 2007 Wergle Flomp Contest. My favorite: "The Castration of Sam McGee."

And I'm still laughing about this two-month old Meg Cabot post about foreign book covers.

4 comments:

  1. Yea Steph!! You totally rock!! I'm so happy for you...I knew you would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations! Jeremy and I were rooting for you all the way.

    Oh, and Neil Gaiman is hands-down one of the nicest guys in the world. If I weren't already married. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for you!!! Congrats! I can't wait to read your writing one day when we meet, you know, in person...

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. amber nicole brooks8:09 PM GMT-5

    You rock! Awesome, as always. Whenever you're ready, I'd love to read more stuff. Please let me know next time you're in the atl. I have a queen sized guest bed, too!

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.