Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



8.16.2007

Becoming Jane



I just got back from seeing Becoming Jane. Oh, happy sigh. As a lover of all things Austen, I am pleased. Quite pleased. I know the Jane community is divided over this film, but I thought it was romantic and wonderful and hope to watch it at least one hundred and two more times. It doesn't bother me in the least that the story Takes Liberties with what is actually known about Austen's relationship with Tom Lefroy. I just love a good love story.

And I confess that I'd been worried about the inevitable sad ending (no Austen-esque double wedding here), but somehow the writers even found a way to ease that particular pain. Bless them.

Besides all that, the film also contains both the star of one of my favorite guilty pleasures and--how appropriately--Mr. Tumnus. (Oh, okay. James McAvoy. Whatever.) The chemistry between them is very zing! and left me swooning.

And in case anyone out there is wondering, the kitty is doing great, and Stardust was incredible. (Captain Shakespeare = redeemed Robert De Niro, Ricky Gervais = best line, re: bag of frogs)


1 comment:

  1. See here it is again...Well I don't think I know anyone who doesn't love James McAvoy or Mr. Tumnus. But Mimi and I saw Stardust three times in the theater. We saw it first with a group of friends and all of us had watched Extras with Ricky Gervais and we all died laughing when he said "are you having a laugh" and no one else in the theater laughed at all.

    ReplyDelete

 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.