Stephanie Perkins Blog About Stephanie Books On Writing News Extras



11.13.2006

My Super Sweet 16 . . . Desk Makeover



After the nice comments made about my pink desk in the last post, I feel it's my duty to show you what it looked liked BEFORE its super-deluxe 1950s glamtastic makeover. Yes, Kelly, that's the same desk you helped me haul away from the church rummage sale three years ago. And I don't want to tell you exactly when it was that I finished our project, because you might curse my name forever! After all, it took your generous and obliging nature, many days sweating in the Georgia summer sun, several tuna salad sandwiches, and a viewing of A Knight's Tale to get it this far:




The desk also lived a brief and boring life painted white, not long after these pictures were taken. Thank goodness I have no snapshots of that; I think my desk would be insulted if I showed the world its awkward, adolescent years. Besides, it has blossomed well in its new shade of Behr "Sweet Sixteen." Why bring up the painful past?

(Thanks again, Kelly. I don't know what I would have done without you that May.)

11.06.2006

Project: French Memo Board



I took off five days from work last week, and during that time, I managed to get to several projects done. Most fell under "boring but necessary" — sewing up holes in sweaters, dusting windowsills — but a few left me feeling quite excited and proud. Enter my French memo board.

I was inspired by one my friend Amber made, as well as a cool Marimekko-like fabric that I found on eBay (purchased for a failed project last year). I read through instructions here and here and then went for it.

Here were my supplies:




1 piece of damaged art (bought for the lovely large frame — only two bucks!)
vintage fabric
chocolate-colored ribbon
large chocolate-colored buttons
old couch pillow
chocolate-colored pen

Not shown: staple gun and pliers

To be brief, I pulled the art apart with the pliers and then stapled it back together with the stuffing from the old couch pillow used as padding between the art and the fabric. Before placing the whole thing back into the frame, I stapled on the ribbon (pulled as tightly as possible). Then I sewed on the buttons at all of the places the ribbon intersected. Finally, I used the pen to color in the damaged parts of the frame where the lighter-colored wood underneath had been exposed. Ta-da! It took one evening and the help of my husband (he stapled while I pulled) to make it.

Here it is hanging on the wall above my writing desk. I plan to use it for holding notes for my novel, so this is as clean as it will ever be.


 


2009 Stephanie Perkins. All rights reserved.